Overheat cutout on johnson 50 1988

pandabear

Cadet
Could someone tell me if there is a overheating cutout on my Johnson VRO 50hp 1988. I have an issue with my engine cutting out after a time and wonder if this could be the cause if so I have a headstart on where to look

Thanks
PB

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Overheat cutout on johnson 50 1988

There is no overheat cutout on the 1988 50hp Evinrude/Johnson. What exactly is your engine doing?

pandabear

Cadet

Hi Joe
Co-owner told me that when he started the engine in a tank & put into gear it cut out after about one and a half minutes, I do not know what else is happening exactly \I was not there, I will go down to the boat to see for myself this weekend. Its just that this was a quick question to see if it was cutting out because of a sensor. I just thought this could give me a quick "possible" answer.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

check your spark on both, should jump 7/16 inch. has the motor been sitting up over winter. was if fogged or winterized. 99% dirty carborators.

pandabear

Cadet

new plugs, & carbs have been cleaned.
Have been told to run engine in tank out of gear until warmed up then put into gear (this is when it cuts out) when it cuts out, check temp on water cooling jacket at thermostat housing, if too hot to touch then it is overheating and could be blockage in waterways/cooling system,impellor, or maybe head gasket.

PB

pandabear

Cadet

engine was cutting out when warming up on initial startup after approx 1-2 mins. Changed plugs cleaned carbs replaced reed valves, replaced fuel pump, renewed fuel & oil. Now runs fine out of gear in tank but cuts out when put into gear after 1-2 mins hence the query about the overheat cutout sensor.
Been told to check if fuel escaping under flywheel or down leg when it cuts out in that case its probably the crankshaft seals and not worth fixing for the amount it would cost. otherwise if no fuel showing then told it could be overheating.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

is the motor being run in a large test tank or a barrel? if a barrel the water in the barrel will get hot from the exhaust. the exhaust, also interferes with the water pickup. there is a method to the madness of trouble shooting. start with checking the spark on both cylinders, check the compression, that motor will run on one cylinder. with it running in neutral, with insulated pliers, pull one spark plug at a time, and listen for a difference, if there is no difference, that cylinder is not working. if it dies, that cylinder is working, and the other isn't.

pandabear

Cadet

ok thanks I will try that and let you know :)