Top speed on Laser bass boat????????

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class
First - I own a '79 18 ft Laser Bass Boat powered by a fresh (not broke in yet) '86 115HP Mercury (bored .030 over) with a Michigan SS speed prop.

What top speed should it run with this set up?

The guy I bought it from said it was a Laser of Grapevine???? I haven't been able to find any information anywhere on the net for this model boat nor have I found anything on the manufacturer. Can anyone help on this?

Thanks for any tips and also, I can't freakin' wait to get this thing oin the water and broke in. The seller told me he had it at 65mph with the old '76 power head... would he be pulling my leg?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Top speed on Laser bass boat????????

possible with proper set up. it all depends on set up.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What size prop is on it?

frozenokie

Petty Officer 1st Class

The prop is a custom spun prop so it doesn't have any markings at all other than the name "Michigan". But, it looks to be a 21 pitch and it's a three blade. The best I can tell, it's about 13" dia. The old prop that I removed, which is the one that the previous owner used, is a 19 pitch 13" dia. and is the one that was used to achieve the 65mph. I couldn't pass up the newer prop since it was only $100. Both are stainless, but the older one looks more brushed and the newer is polished.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

The top speed will most likely be as fast as it can go. What you can do is take the boat to WOT and then go as fast as the boat will go. Then you will have the Top Speed. Thats how i have done it in the past. To see how fast the boat will go i just Go as fast as it will go and then i know how fast the boat goes.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

To run 65 mph with a 19" prop on that motor at 0% slip you'll need to turn the motor 7200 rpm.

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

Stock 115?s typically run around 50 or less on a light hull and without a jack plate and a worked prop.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/...in_2stroke_hpmidport_pro_skt-sx180-115tlr.pdf

http://www.mercurymarine.com/look_deeper/boat_house_bulletin.php?ID=223&Filter=5

The prop calculator thinks you?d need to spin a 27 pitch prop to run 64 MPH, (given 5750 RPM, 2.07 gear ratio, and 10% slip). A 21 pitch prop should yield about 50 MPH if the above variables remain the same.

Strong motor, proper setup, worked prop, made for speed hull, (I?m not familiar with Laser, but it sounds fast) might approach 60 MPH, but not likely with a 21P prop.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Laser boats of Texas made some super fast hulls & help develop Stv boats. Google: Roark Summerford & Laser boats of Texas and you will get a good history lesson. As for your setup 50's is about all ya going to get. Now install a 10inch jackplate,200hp Merc & some prop work =80mph ride:eek: