54 evinrude 7.5hp lower unit seal kit question

praisnm

Seaman
ok, i have gotten my motor all the way ready...and the lower unit oil leaks out from where you detach th elower unit from the arm...i see in the kits that there is a speghetti seal...is this what needs to go on that area? when i bought the motor it didn't have it. i have my lower unit all the way apart now...and cleaned up the nasty smelling oil water mix...and i now have to redo the seals i guess...anyway, the area that the drive shaft...and the shift shaft come out of...the two holes...i am guessing that is where the O-rings in the kit go? how do i get that out? i was thinking a dowel rod...and hammer on it and hope for the best. i am not sure what is leaking, but i wanna be sure to replace all the seals. i also did a carb rebuld kit...and had some spare rubber o rings...not sure what those go to...i also had several left over oval gaskets...2 of them fit, but one fit a little better...i guess these parts might be extra because it is for several models. anyway... it took me forever to get that dang spring to hook to the needle valve for the gas to enter...the one that hooks to the float. i had to bend that thing for ever to get it to work right.

i also took the gear housing apart..and now i can't remember what the gears are supposed to look like when put together. i can't get it to sit in the gear housing correctly, and can't find an exploded view of one either

freddyray21

Commander
Re: 54 evinrude 7.5hp lower unit seal kit question

The spaghetti seal goes in the lower gearcase housing that is just over the gears. There is no seal where the lower unit as a whole bolts onto the leg. There are three seals and the spaghetti seal, plus an oring on the gear case head. There is also a gasket under the plate that holds the seal for thd driveshaft. The drive shaft seal is located under the water pump wear plate. Take the water pump off and the wear plate and you will find a plate held down by four screws. The seal is in that plate. Pull the old and press the new in. The prop shaft seal is in the head. It's the last thing that slides on the shaft before the prop. The shift shaft seal bushing has to be driven out. It requires a special tool or you can make one. Search the threads here on it and someone can explain it better than I can. I made my own from a thread here and it works good. Replace the impeller while you have it apart. From the back of the lu (away from the prop. You will have the front bearing. A brass piece with a collar. It has a hole in it to index to a pin as I recall. The the forward gear. It is the gear without the collar on it. I don't think the reverse gear will fit right over the bearing. Then a thrust washer. The the clutch dog. Then a thrust washer then reverse gear then the bushing for reverse gear then the gear case head.

Last edited:

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

What freddy said was good. I have attached a 1956 7.5 LU exploded. hope it helps.

Attachments

• 1956 7.5hp LU.jpg
    1956 7.5hp LU.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1

praisnm

Seaman

do you have a list of what the parts are called in that diagram? like #56 Prop ect. what do i look up when trying to find the thread on this tool to take out bushings

jbjennings

Captain

Here's the method I like to use for the shift shaft seal under the brass bushing:
Get yourself a 5/16 tap. tap about 3 threads into the little brash bushing. Don't tap the threads all the way through the bushing, as that will ruin it. About 3 or 4 good threads should be all you will need and not go all the way through. Then, screw in a 5/16 bolt. Now, come up from underneath and insert a 1/4 inch piece of round stock or some kind of rod that has a 1/4 inch diameter and push it up so that it rests on the bottom of the bolt you just threaded into the bushing. Now, GENTLY tap out the bushing. It shouldn't be that hard and you want to be carefull not to rip the bolt out of the threads. Another way is to thread the bushing, then get a 1 by 4 or some similar piece of wood, drill a 3/8 hole through it, put the board over the top of the lower unit, and thread a 5/16 bolt through the wood into the bushing. Use washers as needed so that the bolt barely screws into the bushing. When you tighten it all the way it will pull down on the board and up on the bushing, causing it to be pulled out.
These methods were first taught to me by expert mechanics here on iboats so I'm particularly pleased to be able to explain to you how to do it. Mine was a '55 7.5hp that's totally reliable now, even if it is an antique.:)
I sure can't wait for a running picture of your's!
JBJ

67Johnson6HP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Or.... You can take a 5/16" rod and grind about a half inch of it down to 1/4" round (as close as possible) and the drive the bushing out from the bottom - worked for me.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

JBJ, that seems long. I also do what Johnson67 does (also learned off this site) and it works really well. I used a rod off my kids old crib :) cut it and grinded it down to a taper.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Ok, here's a larger diagram and the parts list. Remember, this is from a '56 Johnson 7.5. I'm not sure how similar it is but it's got to be close.

Attachments

• 1956 7.5 LU Parts List.jpg
    1956 7.5 LU Parts List.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 1956 7.5hp LU.jpg
    1956 7.5hp LU.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1

wbeaton

Commander

1954 gearcase is the same as the 1956 posted.

jbjennings

Captain

JBJ, that seems long. I also do what Johnson67 does (also learned off this site) and it works really well. I used a rod off my kids old crib :) cut it and grinded it down to a taper.

Samott,
How'd you grind it down to a perfect 1/4 inch? Do you have a lathe? I don't. If you don't have one what do you do, just turn it by hand on a bench grinder and check it with a caliper to make sure you don't go too far? Anyway, I couldn't handle making myself one so that's how I did it. It was pretty easy but I would like to have a tool to do it faster and do it correctly as I don't like having threads in the bushing if I don't have to. It looks kind of bad (you know what I mean).
Later,
JBJ

praisnm

Seaman

what if I took an already threaded rod of 1/4in...and put a nut on it so the nut catches the bushing...and pushes it out...that way I don't have to taper the rod. then again I am not sure how it would fit with a nut on it. I just do not have a tap and di set. I am waiting to get the seal kit in. does a seal kit come with yhe bushings? I might be wasting time takin them

wbeaton

Commander

The rod doesn't have to be perfect. I ground mine down using a bench grinder. I also found I needed to taper it from 1/4 to 5/16 otherwise it would not work on all gearcases. The bushing just holds the o-ring in place. Its the o-ring that does the sealing. It's ok if you tap threads into the bushing or bash it a little on the bottom end. Just make sure you don't damage the lower unit housing or leave sharp edges that may cut the o-ring.

praisnm, the nut will likely be too big and contact the lower unit housing before reaching the bushing.

praisnm

Seaman

yeah, i guess i just have to come up with a rod...i can find a grinder no problem, but the rod will be the fun part to scrape up...you think i could use a wooden dowel rod? the only metal thing i have is steel 1in around. that'll take forever to do.

praisnm

Seaman

does anyone have pictures of what they have created for the bushings? also i have read that people have had problems getting the O-rings out...it doesn't look like the reseal kit comes with much...and some of the parts aren't the same!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

JBJ, as Wayne said also, it does not have to accurate. I ground it, tried it, ground it and it worked... It took less than 5 min on bench grinder. Real easy. And I had a piece of the kids crib beside me that I had just taken apart!

Praisnm, you probably could use wood. I bet it would work. You have nothing to lose by trying it. But any home store will sell 5/16" metal rod, it's real easy to come by.

praisnm

Seaman

i know this question is not related....but...i have been working on putting a new transom board in my 12ft john boat. i put some fish tank sealer on the outside of the boat under the washer...and under the bolt head...under the wood on the outside of the boat where the motor rests....and then on the inside area where the transome is on the inside of the bolt...under the washers holding the board in....so i basically put fishtank sealer where ever a hole went through the transom...and this guys said it is gonna leak like crazy because that stuff is not meant to seal something that flexes like a boat...what do you all think? i really do not wanna redo this thing!

i have not gotten the bushings out yet...does the new seal kits come with the o rings that go under this bushing?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Won't hurt to wait and see on the fish tank sealer...if it works, it works. If not, get a tube of 3M 4200 sealer at Wallyworld. 3M 5200 will also work, but is harder to remove later on. Both should be on the boat aisle, comes in a tube like permatex make a gasket stuff.

praisnm

Seaman

well, i will just try to put the boat in the water without the motor on...sit in the boat tied to a tree on the shore...and see if i take on water...gotta get the back of the boat sunk enough to see how it goes :). or better yet...i could tie it onto the truck...that way if she sinks...i can just pull it out with the truck :)

jbjennings

Captain

Would you quit keeping me in suspense and tell if you got the 7.5 fixed? I want to hear the SCOOP!:) How about a running pic also, just for fun?
JBJ

praisnm

Seaman

BAD NEWS GUYS. I SCREWED UP MY LOWER UNIT :(
while trying to take out the shift shaft seal and bushing...i had a peice of wood that i was hammering on...the wood broke..and got pretty short...well i got the great idea to put a socket on the wood to give me a little more area to hammer on...well the socket slipped down the wood..and this is the result
IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

GUYS I THINK I FELT MY HEART SKIP A BEAT!
someone please please please tell me there is a way i can patch that hole PLEASE!!!!
I only have the shift shaft seal...and 1 o-ring left and the motor will be done...then i go an do this :(
you guys have NO idea how crappy i feel right now...a month of work...light at the end of the tunnel. i start to run towards it, and do nothing more than fall in downward pipe 10 feet from the end of the tunnel. i really really do not have the money to buy a new lower unit...i am sure it would end it divorce :) just kidding, but she would be mad!