Rebuilding carbs?

Pursuit2550

Seaman
I took out my carbs yesterday (93 Yamaha 150) and I am planning on rebuilding them. I did some searching and found not to use auto carb cleaner. Ok, so what do I soak them in instead? Also I am going to buy the OEM rebuilt kits, just wanted to know ahead of time what comes in the kit so I dont mess with anything in the carbs that doesnt come in the kit. I was planning on soaking them overnite and then blowing through each passage with air,how much air pressure can I use? I aslo have torch tip cleaning kit so I will be using that also.
Thanks

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Rebuilding carbs?

i have used auto carb cleaner with no problems. not sure of the difference. just make sure you get all the plastic/rubber parts out before you go to town with carb cleaner. carb kits come with all the gaskets, needles and floats. take the jets out but dont damage them.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the only parts to soak are the jets and fuel bowls DO NOT place the carb bodies in a soak tank.
the rest can be blown out with a can of spray carb cleaner.

Pursuit2550

Seaman

I just got my Yamaha OEM carb rebuilt kit and it didnt come with the needles or floats. Do I need this also or what?

Yamajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the condition of your float is satisfactory, no pin holes, not squashed in etc, then reuse the same float; provided the needle is not rusted, is straight and doesn't have groves worn onto the shaft, then reuse this too. What you really need to closely examine are the tip of the pilot screw and the float valve, although the latter may come with the kit, also check the valve seat o- ring.

Pursuit2550

Seaman

I have opened up one carb and the floats look fine. I unscrewed the needle screw from th same carb and they are fine also. I will check the others. The carbs and engine as a matter of fact have never be touched. This is why I am doing it. I have already done the water pump, lower unit oil and seals under the water pump, thay where never done either. Thanks for your replys.

James R

Commander

Hi.
Ultrasonic is by far the best way but failing that the only cleaner that I have found that will remove dirt and gum/shelac is a carb kit from Advance Auto.
It comes as a gallon can and an immersion cage. There is a warning on the can regarding plastics but over several years I have not had a problem.
I have had little luck in removing the gum with any of the Auto carb cleaners in fact these are only recommended for external cleaning.

Yamajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

For your airpressure, 20-30psi is fine.

bugeyestp

Cadet

the only parts to soak are the jets and fuel bowls DO NOT place the carb bodies in a soak tank.
the rest can be blown out with a can of spray carb cleaner.

why not place carb body in soak tank? did mine last year, I left bodies in soak tank for bout 20 min. then rinsed and blew dry...