Extremely High Idle Speed

sharkhook

Cadet
Hello All,

Here it is, 86 85hp Force after a night of fishing I'm setting up to put the boat on the trailer I put it in neutral the RPMS are way to high 3000. When I left the day before the idle speed was fine and the couple of times I sat in neutral no problems with the idle. So this must have happened on the way in.

The only thing that comes to mind would be a stuck float/needle. Any ideas ?

Thanks
SharkHook

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Extremely High Idle Speed

Untill an expert answers you with more knowledge than I , don't run it. On a chain saw which is a two stroke it means it is getting air which is causing a lean condition. This can happen at the carbs or at the crank shaft seal. asuming of course that your idle and throttle settings have not changed. Or throttle cable is stuck , frayed perhaps. Bottom line is , it is possible to seize your engine.

sharkhook

Cadet

Hey Lone Duck,

Thanks for jumping in , I guess that makes since, lean mixture = better burn ?. As soon as I read your post I remembered one of the mounting nuts that worked lose on the #2 carb, That was a couple of trips ago. That?s the first thing I?ll check when I get back to the lake.

I went with the float/needle theory thinking unregulated fuel is the issue. I had issues with the float adjustments on the rebuild. Fuel was coming out of a overflow hole. I?d be happy with just locking down the carbs.

Thanks....

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

First thing I would check is the throttle cable. Chrysler and Force used a goofy system. It doesn't take much to raise the idle well over 1500 rpm--just a crack on the carb and a few degrees advanced timing.

So, next time it happens, take off the hood and see if the idle stop screw is bearing against the block. If it is not, just push it against the block. Look for binding in the linkage or cable.

sharkhook

Cadet

Hey Frank,

Looks like I'll need to start at the box and work my way thru the engine's fuel system. Ok, I'll go out tomorrow. It's crappie season and I'm looking to top a 50 fish night.

Later

SharkHook

sharkhook

Cadet

Update:

"So, next time it happens, take off the hood and see if the idle stop screw is bearing against the block. If it is not, just push it against the block. Look for binding in the linkage or cable."

Frank you were right on, The idle stop screw was way off the block. You don't know how happy I was to see that. It looks like the control box is the issue. When I move the shifter forward full throttle I can see the linkage move as expected but when backing off to nuetral I hear clicking, like somthing is stripped and the linkage doe's not move all the way back. As I'm writing this I thinking the cable could be the problem also. I'll take the coupler off at the block and check movement without resistance.

I'd better start my search for a control box now, Going back in the morning to perform surgery on the box.

To be continued...

Thanks again everybody

SharkHook

sharkhook

Cadet

Update:

Another fine day on the lake, Fishing was ok but the weather and the calm water was A+.

Yes it did sound like something was stripped in the control box and after taking it apart I found a plastic guard cracked in the control unit. But this was not the cause of the problem.

The retaining nut for the timing screw backed off. The screw worked lose from the trigger's plastic connector and got stuck behind the timing mark on the block preventing the throttle assembly from returning to the idle position.

Now seeing this after tearing down the remote control, I was somewhat relieved until I realized I'd have to retime the engine with no light or any experience worth speaking of......

Backed out the screw counting the turns. Screwed it back into the trigger connecter then off to the ramp. It fired right up, idled great and had power. Released from the trailer and off to the races.

I got lucky on this one, And Forces engines are TOUGH. From now on I'll be sure to check ALL the components of a failed system before I break out the wrench.

Once again thanks everyone for your help.

SharkHook