50HP Evinrude - how to start

Throbbin Rods

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 50HP Evinrude, 1987, that is not in boat and has no controls. Can I just hook cables from the battery to the starter andground, then jump to the primary side of the coil? That is what I would do with a automobile motor.
thanks very much
Throbbin Rods

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 50HP Evinrude - how to start

Ground to the block
positive jumper cable hooked to the terminal on the starter will turn the engine over, same principal as testing a car starter.

engine will start and run like this, will need to choke it to make it stop running

have engine on muffs with water hose or in barrel

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i keep a set of battery cables just for this. i connect to ground stud, on the block, and the positive to the top big post on the solenoid., then use a remote starter switch to pump the solenoid primary. remember, the only way to kill it is to : pull the plug wires, or flood it with the manual primer solenoid lever. i have the same motor

MVC-005S.jpg

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Not to sure on your engine but if you have an amplifier or power pack the black/yellow wire should be the kill wire, by attaching a gator clip wire to this terminal and grounding it this should also kill the engine by removing spark?
Not sure maybe some of the experts can chime in on this one