HELP!!! 25hp Starter Bolt Hole Stripped

nochance4win

Recruit
I have a 1988 Evinrude 25hp motor that has an issue. The starter is held on by two bolts. One on the front of the casing and one on the right hand side. The bolt hole on the front of the casing is stripped; I have tapped the hole but it will not hold. I have tried to JB weld the bolt in place and I have tried lock tight. Is there anything I can do to get the starter to stay on??? Do I have any other options???

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: HELP!!! 25hp Starter Bolt Hole Stripped

drill and retap one size larger. if present bolt is 1/4 in go to a 5/16 inch tap and bolt.

nochance4win

Recruit

The hole does not have much meat around it. Is there anyway to fill the hole and start over?

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer

Try helicoils. They are available at auto parts stores and are made for doing exactly what you are doing. they use the same bolt and the threads are usually only slightly larger on the thread insert. Rick
www.emhart.com/products/helicoil.asp

Willyclay

Captain

Regardless of which repair method you use, you might want to place a stud in that location so in the future you only have to remove a nut and don't put any undue stress on the repaired area. Good luck!

BF

Lieutenant

I went through this with my older 25 hp. Same location as yours. When it broke, some of the "finger" that projects off the block also broke off. Previous owner had tapped what was left. Lasted for about a month. My attempt at fix was to drill out and use a "Keen insert". It's the same idea as a helicoil, but more substantial. You tap a new bigger hole, and then screw in the insert which has a locking pin in it. Then I used locktite on the bolt. That held for a season. When it broke it took most of what was left of that little finger off the block.

I took it to a shop with a good machinist that I know. He didn't want to weld the block there to rebuild the finger.... too much chance a bad weld or melting the block. Instead he built a new linkage out of aluminum that bolts to the carb mounting bolts and goes across. The starter is now attached to this new piece. It has been sturdy for 3 years now.

IIRC correctly starter bracket has 3 bolts. The one on the front (which I think is what you're talking about), one on the top, shared by the rope recoil, and one on the side towards the back. Make sure you check the other bolts. Chances are they are loose or those holes are buggered up too. Lastly, however you fix it, make sure that the starter bracket ends up being in the right spot. Especially if the finger on the block has been damaged, then you need to make sure that the bracket is not in too close or too far away for the bendix to match with the flywheel afterwards.

Good luck.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Also, I'm pretty sure there should be FOUR bolts/studs that hold the starter in place. I believe there is one front, two side, up high, and one down low, running fore/aft...
- Scott

nochance4win

Recruit

Hey everyone...Thanks for all the info. BF - thanks for your post...nice to know someone else has been in my shoes. I did not know about the third hole on the mounting bracket...just found it. I believe it will help take some stress off the hole with the damage. Chinewalker - I looked and could not locate a fourth hole. Here are some pictures I just took. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• StarterHoles.jpg
    StarterHoles.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 8
  • MotorHoles.jpg
    MotorHoles.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 9

asianstars

Recruit

Not sure you have it figure out. I recently got a use boat with the same outboard and experience the same issue. Bolt came out from vibration and I tapped one size larger, starter held up for one trip that back off. No clue how to get it fix and it has been sitting in the garage for another season.........