Honda 130 need info

Pitt River

Recruit
I'm thinking of buying a boat with a 130 hp 2001 Honda outboard. However I've been told that this engine has had some problems with cracking blocks and heads. Is this on all years, or was the problem corrected. Also I've heard that corrosion has been a problem in the past. The motor looks in great shape and has less than 100 hours on it. I am planing on doing a compression test on it, what kind of numbers should I get on a good engine.

Any information or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ren.

Flakeys

Seaman
Re: Honda 130 need info

There has been issues with some of the older year 130's with the head/block cracks. I believe Honda is honoring a replacement warranty even if the engine is sold. See if the previous owner has any of that paperwork. You can also find other threads in this forum from others with similar problems/questions.

As to the corrosion issue, hopefully it has been properly flushed out after use. There is a little "T" connector from the water pee line that is notorious for plugging up. Needs attention regularly to clean it out. Some corrosion will occur around the thermostat and water bypass covers.

There isn't a "number" to look for as a spec when doing a compression test. Remove all spark plugs, put the throttle to full and go down the line cranking 4 or 5 times until the gage reads the highest. Write down the results after each one and then compare them. The ones I've done after a hundred or so hours have a compression around 190 to 205 psi range. The main thing is that there is no significant difference between any of them.

A big difference would indicate a bad valve or seat, bent valve, out of adjustment lash, or a number of other things which would require a closer look.

Pitt River

Recruit

Flakeys, thanks very much for your input and information. All othrers welcome.
Ren

OBMD

Seaman Apprentice

The service manual does list a compression spec. 199-228psi with throttle plates wide open. Honda has 2 service bulletins on the BF130. #27 deals with cracks in the block. VIN range is BZBE-1000001--1201321. Shortblock & head assy are replaced. They cured the block issue, but still had some heads crack. This is service bulletin #54. VIN range is BZBE-1201322--1599999. Warranty is for 10 years on the block & head from date of original purchase. Not all blocks & heads cracked. If the deal is to your liking, I would go with it!!