water running out my spark plugs

bassin4me

Cadet
1985 Mercury 115 hp stacked 6. water is running out of the spark plugs. What is the damage?

JesseNKim

Cadet
Re: water running out my spark plugs

sounds to me like a cracked block but im no expert like i said no expert i mean powerhead lol i believe when they crack it could leak water into cylinders

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class

probably just a cooked waterjacket gasket..nothing serious

bassin4me

Cadet

How do you replace it and what could have caused it?

Several things can cause it. A bad case would be a worn wrist pin making the piston wear sideways through the clyinder wall. A good inspection and COMPRESSION check is first in order. How the engine was running right before it filled with water is a clue.Hate to say it but be prepared for a big buck repair unless you can do all the work yourself which isnt recomended to be a first time project.better to get another one first.

yorkserv

Seaman

I ran into this problem with my 1988 engine I was not able to get the engine to run any higher than 4400 rpm and there was light water spots on spark plug of cylinder #3 well I ended up pulling the heads once I completed compression check I was getting about 120 psi on all cylinder except the one with the water on plug when i pulled the head plates did inspection of the cylinder and I had a pin hole in the cylinder going through bore into the cooling jacket. I was told that I can re sleve the cylinder and then the engine would run unbalanced or rebuild the engine well needless to say I now have the engine for sale if anyone wants to work on this awesome engine that I am attached to 1988 200hp blackmax.

I am not saying that this is what is happening with your engine but it is something that you can check good luck let us know what happened

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

As Cannonford57 said it is most likely the gasket for the water jacket is leaking. Happened to my 84 115. A whole bunch of little bolts, a razor blade, new gasket, and a couple hours time will usually solve the problem. Occasionally the water jacket cover will warp and even a new gasket will leak.

bassin4me

Cadet

it is a stacked 6, it was also running great just before it lost power. i was running at 5500 rpm, trimmed it down and ran up to 6200 rpm. it ran great here for about 45 seconds and down it went. it sat for about 45 minutes and when i fired it up it took off like nothing happened for about 30 seconds and lost rpms again.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

You say you trimmed it in and the revs went up?

j_martin

Admiral

I ran into this problem with my 1988 engine I was not able to get the engine to run any higher than 4400 rpm and there was light water spots on spark plug of cylinder #3 well I ended up pulling the heads once I completed compression check I was getting about 120 psi on all cylinder except the one with the water on plug when i pulled the head plates did inspection of the cylinder and I had a pin hole in the cylinder going through bore into the cooling jacket. I was told that I can re sleve the cylinder and then the engine would run unbalanced or rebuild the engine well needless to say I now have the engine for sale if anyone wants to work on this awesome engine that I am attached to 1988 200hp blackmax.

I am not saying that this is what is happening with your engine but it is something that you can check good luck let us know what happened

If you sleeve the cylinder, you run a stock piston in it. As long as the porting is matched, it would not run off balance. It's a common repair, and perfectly legitimate. If you re-ring, just be sure you get the rings for steel cylinders for that hole. Break it in as if it were a steel sleeved motor.

These engines are basically so wild to start with that you can put an oversized piston in one hole and not notice any imbalance. It just isn't enough difference to matter.

If the shop is worried about "imbalance" it's because they bore them crooked. Go somewhere else.

There are experts who hang out on the hot rod sites, like Scream and Fly, that could weld it if they can get at the back side of the leak. They probably could even cut through the water jacket, repair the cylinder, and repair the water jacket.

A guy that comes to mind is Ruck. 1 920 233 3833 in Oshkosh, Ws.

hope it helps
John

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Pull the plugs! and double check around the threaded area. If there is a space just outside the diameter of the plug threads... It's a gasket. You will need to pull the cover off and have a look. Use lots of PB blaster on the nuts and bolts. There may be other issues if your motor is always used in salt water. Corrision can eat away at the metal all the way down to the compression ring and then water gets by the gasket.

yorkserv

Seaman

If you sleeve the cylinder, you run a stock piston in it. As long as the porting is matched, it would not run off balance. It's a common repair, and perfectly legitimate. If you re-ring, just be sure you get the rings for steel cylinders for that hole. Break it in as if it were a steel sleeved motor.

These engines are basically so wild to start with that you can put an oversized piston in one hole and not notice any imbalance. It just isn't enough difference to matter.

If the shop is worried about "imbalance" it's because they bore them crooked. Go somewhere else.

There are experts who hang out on the hot rod sites, like Scream and Fly, that could weld it if they can get at the back side of the leak. They probably could even cut through the water jacket, repair the cylinder, and repair the water jacket.

A guy that comes to mind is Ruck. 1 920 233 3833 in Oshkosh, Ws.

hope it helps
John

Thanks I will have to keep that in mind I already purchased a new motor time for upgrade so I am selling it at this time. But I will relay this to whom ever wants this great motor I am very impressed with what she did for me all these years