Kohler 6.5CZ problems

rmassey

Recruit
When I start my generator and nothing is turned on, it reads about 160 volts when checked at an outlet with a volt meter. When I turn something on like the AC, it will drop down to 115 to 120 volts. Is this normal? If not, anyone know the problem?:confused:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Kohler 6.5CZ problems

Plug in a very small load on it when you measure the voltage.

rmassey

Recruit

Plug in a very small load and see if the volts drops??????

ehenry

Commander

What prompted you to check the voltage? Was there a problem? Were the lights brigter than normal? Did somthing burn up? Or were you just curious?

I may be way off base here and I know there are others here that can and will answer this.....but it may be that its showing a higher voltage with no load to indicate the surge in needs to start a load.

rmassey

Recruit

I was just curious. But want to make sure that when my AC compressor kicks off and the fan continues, that it automatically adjust the voltage so that I do not burn anything up.

I recently purchased this boat and the generator did not start, so I had it repaired and just want to make sure that this is the way they (generators) work.

I will check the voltage with a small load this weekend when I am down at my boat.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Your generator should be putting out 120 volts, not 160.

Your gen has an a/c voltage regulator that should control voltage @120 volts.

Also RPM's could be off. It should be running at a constant 3000 rpm's. If it running at high rpm's the voltage may spike to 160 with no load. Possible govenor problems. All in all it needs to be checked again, something is wrong.

Here's a link to an operators manual. http://www.marinegenerators.us/kohler/lit/TP5695.PDF

rmassey

Recruit

Thanks for the info and the link for the manual which is the other thing I had been trying hard to find. I am scheduled to take my boat in 4/9 and will pass this info on.