Hello All, need some more of your help...

jgranax

Cadet
Greetings all,

Here's me situation:

1989 Johnson 110HP J110TLCE. After 24 months of storage, it wouldn't start, cranks, but was stubborn to turn over. So I did the following.

Compression check results: 100 all around.

Replaced all 4 plugs, wires, rebuilt both carbs (pretty easy - used OMC carb kits) disabled the VRO (using pre-mix now), cleaned fuel tank and filled with fresh premix. It started on the dime, fired up quickly as a matter of fact. I did not do the water pump/impeller yet, that?s next. However, even thought it idles forever without stalling on the muffs, it seems to burn very rich, you can smell it notice the blue smoke. Also starts to hesitates and shake as it warms up. Pulled the plugs after 15 minutes, they were a little wet, cleaned, dried them up and back in they went. Started right up, but again hesitates and occasionally sounds like its going to stall, but it doesn?t. I never recalled doing any timing adjustments or carb adjustments (rich/lean) as of today. I remember this hesitation last time I had it out in the water 2 years ago. Totally clueless. It seems that the carbs are burning to rich. My Johnson manual doesn?t clarify. Any thoughts ??

-Joe

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hello All, need some more of your help...

check your spark after it warms up. pull plug wires one at a time listen for a change in the motor, no change that cylinder is not working. also your float needle may not be sealing, flooding the motors some.

jgranax

Cadet
Re: Hello All, need some more of your help...

When I shot some carb spray below the upper carb, the engine was about to stall. Air leak somwhere. I removed both carbs and found a broken nipple with half in the vacumn or drain line? This nipple screw beneath the carbs, is it a drain line of some sort? I unscrewed the total nipple from the intake manifoldm and I noticed a small screen inside of it. Fuel drain? Whaterver, I don't know if I did that or it was broken. I suspect it was my doing. I don't think this was the issue, I may have broken this fitting after I was trying to troubleshoot the area where the carb spray made contact. Anyway, I'll have to replace that first, then continue troubleshooting.

I just rebuilt the carbs the other day. All shoudl be new...eg.., used the OMC carb kit. Pretty simple, I can't see how I screwed that up....I'll be back..

Thanks,

JG