help me choose wax/procedure

ok guys i took your advice now i need some input as to what to use and the procedure. so far i guess ineed to sand the entire boat? gel coat is faded and challky. what grit to i start and finish with? do i do do the entire boat including topside and deck "skid resistant"? also i am looking at 3m products... but which is the better procedure...

1. sand, compound using 3m super compound, then compound again using 3m 3000 "remove swirl marks", then apply wax and buff.... which wax type should i use carnuba "marykate product" or regular 3m wax?

2. sand, compound and wax with 3m 2 in one compounding and wax system. will system work well with a heavy oxidized gel coat. it says it is for heavy oxidized boats, just looking to see if anyone has used this or other 2 in 1 products.

also is sanding even neccesary? wet or dry?

renbent

Recruit
Re: help me choose wax/procedure

Hi,
My brother in law has a Hydrosport about 8 years old. He had somewhat of the same problem you had. He hired a detailer to wax his boat with an buffer 5 months ago and it took the detailer 8 hours to finish the boat and $300 later. 2 months went by and his boat started having the same chalky appearance. We had just started selling this new product called Ultra Luster Waterless Car Wash which is a wash,wax and protective glaze.They make a product called Metal Luster. He took the Metal Luster (total restoration and oxidation product safe on gel coat) home and within one hour by hand he had waxed the boat and removed the chalky residue. He then used the UL waterless car wash to seal and protect it. It has lasted 3 months now in and out of salt water and still looks awesome. If he would of used a buffer he would of finished it in less time but he told us it was very easy without it. You might want to try the product and see for yourself. Check out my website www.ultraluster.com/goultraluster. Hope that helps!

cbear34

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: help me choose wax/procedure

I just buffed out my gelcoat this weekend. I am very pleased with the results. Time will tell how long this procedure lasts. I plan on applying another coat of wax.
1. 3M marine rubbing compound
2. 3M Finesse-It II glazing compound
3. Meguiars Flagship wax
All 3 procedures done with a 10" random orbital buffer.

Attachments

• Port side after wax 2008 Meguiars flagship.jpg
    Port side after wax 2008 Meguiars flagship.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Starboard side after wax Meguiars flagship 2008.jpg
    Starboard side after wax Meguiars flagship 2008.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Faded gelcoat aft 2008.jpg
    Faded gelcoat aft 2008.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Faded gelcoat port side 2008.jpg
    Faded gelcoat port side 2008.jpg