sticky zipper

torcano

Chief Petty Officer
The zipper on my sunbrella side curtains is hard to slide. Any suggestions for a proper lubricant. The zipper is plastic/vinyl not metal. I assume vasoline petrolium jelly can't hurt.
Thanks,
RK

ebry710

Ensign
Re: sticky zipper

Silicone lubricate (and candle wax) should work. I would not usually suggest the use of petroleum jelly on petroleum derived products. Of course I do not usually use petroleum jelly and that might make less of an expert.

aspeck

Staff member

Either a bar of soap or a candle should help.

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks. I have still have my left over birthday candles and will be putting them to good use.
RK

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I've never had any luck with wax on plastic zippers. There are products made for them that work very well.
6050.jpg

firehog6305

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been useing chapstick, and it works good too

The Old Geezer

Recruit

Go to your grocery store and in the canning supplies pick up a package of parafin . It is used to melt on top of Jellies etc. Just rub it up and down tthe zipper and it will stay on and solve the problem . It also will not soil clothes or other items and works on all types of zippers. The Old Geezer

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

BJCSC, thanks. The Star Brite lubricant worked great and it appears to work on the snaps as well. It was more expensive than candles ($8.99 at West Marine) but appears to be made specifically for the job at hand.
RK

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

No troubles, I think it works great, too. It will also keep your snaps from getting crusty/green...