Question on used 1994 20 Hp Mercury

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello:

I am again considering a used Mercury. The motor has good compression, and start and runs well on the muffs. My question has to do with the cooling system. The motor has some water coming out at the bottom of the lower fork. This is a long shaft motor if that is a difference. The thermostat seems to control the pee hole properly (just a few drips when cool, but when it heats up the pee hole cycles on and off every couple of minutes or so. Remember this is on the muffs and here in Michigan it is still cold (40F).

Also, the boat is a 14.5 ft Northwood aluminum v-hull (also a '94) seems to be sound, although there is some carpet wear where you put your feet while on the seat. He is asking $2000. Is this a fair price?

One other unknown. Long shaft motor, high transom. The horizontal plate on the boat is about an inch below the bottom of the boat. It looks like the motor sits deep, but when I compare to other boats, they are about the same.

Thanks,
Terry

Attachments

• 422.JPG
    422.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 0
  • northwood.jpg
    northwood.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0
  • northwood2.jpg
    northwood2.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 0
  • northwood3.jpg
    northwood3.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 0

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Question on used 1994 20 Hp Mercury

Thats not a bad price for that rig if the motor checks out. You could raise it an inch and get up there where it should be.

TerryMSU

Bump!

Still wondering about the cooling system. Is the extra water a "leak"?

bhile... Thanks for the input!

Terry

TerryMSU

bump - thanks - is there a way to edit the title?