Will a 30Lb trolling motor push a 17ft carolina skiff?

Bunnerrabbit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just wondering how well the trolling motor would work? It might be used for trolling some but the main point in having it is to get me back in I have motor problems. Is on sale $99 with $20 mail in rebate and I have a $10 off coupon so we are talking $74 out the door.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Will a 30Lb trolling motor push a 17ft carolina skiff?

thats all i use on my 16' aluminum...i get 5-6 hours steady running(not only on high)...its a mod.V;pretty light to though,boats only around 360#s,gear,motor still under 1000#s...depends on how good your battery(s)is,how big a body of water and how much time you have...it would work,you would want more thrust if you used it daily

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

If you are going against a wind it will never cut it. I have a 30 on my 16 and the best speed I can get at max speed is around 4 mph. Into the wind I doubt I would gain anything. On a calm day and if you just need to motivate your boat to go certain ways around shores while fishing the 30 should work

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

I have a 70lb on the bow of my 17 footer and I also can put a 55 on the stern for when I fish TM only lakes. I certainly wouldn't want the 55 for the main TM. Now if it was on the bow it would do a lot better. If you could put the 30 on the bow, it would be a better.

beerfilter

Petty Officer 1st Class

30 lbs of thrust is way light for that rig , ok on calm flat water , but you will be running it at close to the max settings more often than not .

Look for at least 45-55 lbs of thrust , as a minimum .
In rough weather , you will be glad for the extra power .

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i will if there is no head wind.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I hauled my Boston Whaler Montauk 17 around with a 28LB Minn Kota bow mount for years. Only once needed it to get home and it did it, but slowly.

I switched to a 55AP Minn Kota bow mount and that danged thing would almost plane her!

Don't be penny smart and pound foolish, rabbit. Go for at least 55LB. If you buy a $74 motor that won't do the job you will have just wasted time and money.

Bunnerrabbit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, If I have to spend more I will just put the money elsewhere. I just got the boat and need about everything a trolling motor can wait then.