Husky "Smart" Battery Charger - HSK1085HD

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I spotted a post by somebody the other day and trotted over to Home Depot yesterday to take a look. Wound up buying one. It looks like a real nice unit for $60.00, so I thought I'd share for anyone else in the market for one.

- User selectable charging profiles for Lead-Acid, AGM and Gel battery types
- 2/10/20 Amps, plus a 60-amp engine starter
- Automatic float charger. Set it and forget it. As the battery is charged, it'll step down and then keep it charged all winter if you want.
- Battery "recondition" (desulfate) mode
- "Cell equalizer" mode
- Alternator and battery tester

It's small. light, has internal cable storage and comes with a 3-year warranty. Even has an internal cooling fan. Right now, it's busily (I hope) reconditioning/desulfating one of my batteries. According to the manual, that's a 24-hour process.

raekmike

Seaman
Re: Husky "Smart" Battery Charger - HSK1085HD

Great pick up john, had mine almost 2 years now. I maintain about 8 group 27's ranging from 2 to 5 years old. I desulfate about twice a year on all the batteries and keep em topped off monthly. havn't lost a battery yet!!!! It's an awesome deal and costs less than one stinkin new battery..

JoLin

Vice Admiral

raemike, I was really surprised by how many features it had for the price. My poor 30-year-old Sears charger (still works perfectly, btw) is gonna feel pretty neglected, I think. On the other hand, whaddaya think the chances are that I'll get 30+ years outta this one? (oh, wait, I'll be dead by then. never mind...)

bruffcorn

Cadet

Where can I find this charger now? The Home Depot and Husky websites don't list this model, they only list the HSK1084HD.

Thanks.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

This sounds very much like the Vector charger that is carried at Harbor Freight. May be made by the same company.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95876

95876.gif

rndn

Commander

Does it have a deep cycle battery selection?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I personally have never seen a "deep cycle battery" selection on a charger. Not sure why it would need to be different. If you want to limit the current that the battery charges at, you can always pick the lower current charge rates.

rndn

Commander

Most Marine designated chargers have a selectable switch for deep cycle or starter battery. I am unaware of what the difference is however the instruction manual on my automatic charger suggests not charging deep cycle on the standard setting.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

None of the Guest marine onboard chargers have a distinction between deep cycle and other batteries.

rndn

Commander

The on board chargers state they can distinguish between the two types. At least that's what mine states.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

More than likely the selector that you mention would probably be on a non-smart charger. The chemistry of a deep cycle battery is the same as a start battery. It is really only the construction that is different..ie thicker plates.

Do you recall if the charger you had seen that on was a smart charger?

rndn

Commander

It was just an automatic charger, not a smart charger.