re-name a boat?

mwagne30

Petty Officer 3rd Class
O.k. your talking to a guy that has had nothing but bad luck dealing with boats. I DON'T BOAT! but my son and neighbor do-- alot! I picked this boat up for them and would like to rename it, wet 'N' wild not the name it need's when your son is 12 and neighbor is 74!!! I told the old man that I needed to rename it and he came all apart!! being an old Navy man (30 years) I was informed that it's bad luck to rename a boat?? news to me. So how do I pull this off, what is the rule for name changes? or is the old man all wet? can anyone help! I also must add that we also have two girl's, so to my co-worker that read's this all the time, thank's for the help, but (Hooker Team) will not work!

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant
Re: re-name a boat?

I think most people would agree that it's just a superstition.
However, when Chuck Yeager wrote "Glamorous Glenna" on the side of the X-1 (a no - no) prior to breaking the speed of sound even the highest ups at the US Airforce wouldn't even consider making a change for fear of the consequences. :eek:
Your call.;)

Last edited:

Randy169

Seaman Apprentice

Superstition is all it is.

But I am curious why writing "Glamorous Glenna" on the side of the X-1 was a no - no.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

google renaming a boat there is a ceremony to keep the gods happy. you have to unname it then rename it.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You absolutely have to have an un-naming ceremony as well as a re-naming ceremony,or the thing will sink & everyone aboard will perish,must appease the Boating Gods.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

I think an un-naming ceremony consists of adult beverages and dancing girls.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I went thru one of those un-naming ceremonies. It was named after my wife Jeannie and she wanted the word bear within the boat name. So WE named it Jeannie Bear.

I truely wasn't really happy with the name as she was. The un-naming ceremony started when I told her I was changing the name of the boat. I sorta was knighted by her up along the side of the head. I can't remember what she knighted me with. (They doc's say something about a brain injury the that person won't remember the events leading up to the injury) Thats me.:D So that was my memory of the un-naming ceremony.

I still have the word "bear" in the name,,,,,,it maybe spelled differently, but here is the new name that is gonna be on it this season: Of course the Mrs aint to happy about it :D
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
"Sleeping Bare"

Nandy

Commander

Forget the renaming... Go ahead and addopt me. I have been looking at a cruiser for some time "dad". lol!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

:DBlasphemy, I tell you! Phffffffffffffffft! Changing a boat's name .... well, I never ........ ;)

Its your boat - name it what you want! Better yet, tell the old man and the kid to cough up the bucks that it took to buy it and let them name the boat!

PS: Never rename your GF to make yourself think you are dating someone new 'cause if you do someone will get peeved for sure and it won't be "the gods!"