need shallow water fish finder recommendation

njlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking to replace the digital depth finder I have now with a B/W basic fish finder. The Humminbirs Pirrana series would be fine but I have read that they are not really intended for depths below three feet.
Any experince, recommedations would be greatly appreciated.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: need shallow water fish finder recommendation

If you need this for showing water depth, I question the usefulness as if you are going at any speed at all you will be in too shallow water before the locator tells you how deep it is since the transducer is at the back. If you need it for fishing, I also question the need since for depths below three feet you can see the bottom. It will show you the same thing you can see with your naked eye --assuming you are not fishing in brown water. Any low end Eagle or Lowrance will work for you. They can be had for less than $100 and even cheaper if you get lucky on E-bay.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i'm very happy with my Piranha 20. no probs in shallow water, other than i don't pay attention to it, till the alarm goes off.

Bondo

Staff member

need shallow water fish finder recommendation intended for depths of three feet.

Ayuh,....... Polarized Sunglasses.......

eastern27

Seaman

Looking to replace the digital depth finder I have now with a B/W basic fish finder. The Humminbirs Pirrana series would be fine but I have read that they are not really intended for depths below three feet.
Any experince, recommedations would be greatly appreciated.
At 3ft. with a normal narrow beam transducer your cone will cover an area about 1ft. in diameter. Good sunglasses and a stealthly approach.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I know of no depth finder that will claim any accuracy in less than 3 feet. For one thing, you'd have to be certain that your boat floats the same depth all the time (load never varies), and I'm not sure the piranha series has a correction for depth of 'ducer.

njlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

The channel to our marina runs 3 to 6 feet and the water is dark brown cedar water so the sunglass idea won't help. It's only a foot deep on either side and you can't see the bottom there either.
A finder accurate in that range would be helpfull.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

It sounds like you need a gps to navigate by more so than a depth finder. As already stated you'll run around before the transducer sees the depth change if the unit is "accurate" or not.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

ya, I was just thinkin "GPS". that or else a trusted friend on the bow with a long pole. :D