Opinon please on Larson, Seaswirl, Searay...

w6gpm

Recruit
I'm not a boat person but looking to buy a used 16' bowrider outboard in the $3K to $4K range. I've looked at Larson, Seaswirl, Searay and Beachcraft. My question is are these all about equal quality in constuction, longevity etc. Is one an "entry level" that I should stay away from since they're all about 20+ years old. I don't want to be told I'm buying a Cadillac only to find out I've bought a Yugo. (I'm currently considering a 1984 Larson that looks great but of course they all "look" great.)

Thanks,

tommays

Admiral
Re: Opinon please on Larson, Seaswirl, Searay...

Your really looking for a well kept garage boat ;) more so than a brand name and your going outboard so you might want to stay away from brands you cant get serviced in your area

The more there out in the weather when not being used the more likely there will be problems with soft floors and other problems

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I previously owned an '88 SeaRay 19 foot I/O bowrider. I currently own a '98 21 foot SeaSwirl dual console. In comparison to the SeaSwirl, the SeaRay was more plush(more upulstory, fancy wood trim, more SS railings, fancy dashboard) than the SeaSwirl, but of inferior construction. In addition the "Plush" items did not stand up too well to the elements. Prior to '88 SeaRay had made a name for itself for a fancy, well-made boat. I have to think my '88 model was a step back from that quality.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

20 years old is all about CURRENT condition. As was said, in a small boat like that if you can get one that was kept in a garage you'll be golden.

Force engines are frowned upon. Make sure you find an engine that runs well!

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Brand matters far less than condition...as others have stated.

Find a boat that has the layout you want. ie. back to back seating with an open bow. Find a boat that has been well cared for. Find a boat with an engine you are comfortable servicing your self or know you have good support for locally.

I would stay away from Force outboards or Chrysler outboards. Mercurys and OMCs (Johnson/Evinrude) in those years are good reliable motors that have good service avaiable almost anywhere. Any of the imports that old may be harder to service. Yamahas are probably the most common and most likely to have good service available.

With a boat that old and in the price range you are talking about I would say that the engine is at least half the value of the package.

Where are you located and what to you pland to do with the boat?