1996 Johnson 130 False Overheat

Marshall951

Recruit
I have replaced the waterpump..

After 5 mins or so at speed it will starting losing power... Then a minute or two later the beeper comes on solid, with no indicator lights... Another minute of two and the overheat light comes on...

It is not hot, and I have tested the sensors. I also tried pumping the fuel bulb and checked the tank vent and fuel flow...:confused:

What should I do next?

Thanks,
Marshall

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Johnson 130 False Overheat

Once the S.L.O.W. kicks in the horn should follow. You would have to turn the engine off and wait for it to cool to disable S.L.O.W. once it initiates.

Unless your blocking diodes are bad, if the engine is not overheating there is no reason for the heat alarm to go on unless you have a short or bad diode. I don't think that you have a vacuum switch (fuel obstruction alarm) on the V4 unless you installed one.​

Marshall951

Recruit

Where are the diodes located?

Are there just 2 heat sensors? One on each head....

Thanks,
Marshall

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The blocking diodes are imbedded in the harness leads and at different places depending on the motor and year. You can test the harness with an ohmmeter because the diodes should only allow the current to flow in one direction. Only testing of the tan wiring would be needed.

ChuckS25

Recruit

I am troubleshooting my130hp v-4 '99 cooling system. Should there be any water(using rabbit ears) coming from somewhere?
Where might the indicator stream be?