Thinking of replacing my coils

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
I am trying to find the most recent number that I have had seen for my coils, the brp number shows to be 581819, but from what I understand this is an old number. The motor model number once again is 85895c, 1978 85hp Evinrude.

I did a spark check a couple of weeks ago and I had over 7/16th spark on the tester (pulling one plug at a time). I have decarbed the motor, checked the plugs after and they do still fire. I went to test the boat on the lake (for the first time) and I couldn't get the boat to throttle up for nothing or nobody. Took a mans suggestion on shore and let the motor run for 30 minutes and then took it out again with no change. Sometimes when messing with the throttle while underway it would die. Sense the shake down test didn't go well, I did another spark test and the spark seemed much weaker then before, but I also noticed I had the throttle moved up just a little, I tested it with all the spark plugs out this time.

The motor starts easily and will throttle up in neutral but not under a load. I am fixing to have the carbs cleaned (again) this time and then rebuild them myself, I already have the carbs off. I was thinking of buying a new gas tank, because I am using an old plastic one (don't know what the pickup tube looks like), possibly pulling the fly wheel checking the timing advance lever movent, possibly cleaning the stator while I'm at it if need be, and possibly replacing the coils. The fuel pump has already been rebuilt, as of last year. Compression was 110, 110, 105, 105 when I check it again.

Am I on the right track?

And while it....What is the best setting for the floats in the carbs? Should I half to worry about adjusting them when they are coming right out of the package?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thinking of replacing my coils

The coil part numbers are current according to www.shop.evinrude.com

When testing for spark, it is best to remove all plugs, and ground out the leads. Do you have access to an inductive timing light to test the spark while underway?

If the spark does check out, you will need to look into fuel delivery. Will spraying pre mix into the carb throats help? Pumping the primer bulb? Choking it? I assume your vent is open?

When were the carbs last rebuilt? May be time for a bath and rebuild. Check to see if the timer base (starboard side, under the edge of the flywheel, linked to the throttle lever) moves smoothly without sticking when you advance the throttle.

Take the airbox cover off & observe whether the throttle plates are parallel.

Also, the timer base should start it's travel *before* the throttle plates start to open, else she'll fall flat when you try to accelerate.

Check your manual, but I believe your float drop will be 1 inch and when you turn the carb body upside down, the float should be parallel to it and slightly off.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

What is the condition of the coils? Are they original? Cracked?

It's a good idea to incorporate a continuity test of the coil windings as follows. A coil can be made to fire even with broken windings BUT it will let you down at the worse possible moment.

(Magneto Capacitance Discharge Coils - Continuity Test))
(J. Reeves)
Check the continuity of the ignition coils. Remove the primary orange wire from whatever it's connected to. It may be connected to a powerpack screw type terminal, a rubber plug connector, or it may simply plug onto a small boss terminal of the coil itself.

Connect the black lead of a ohm meter to the spark plug boot terminal, then with the red ohm meter lead, touch the ground of the coil or the powerhead itself if the coil is still installed.

Then touch (still with the red lead) the orange wire if it's attached to the coil, or if it's not attached, touch the primary stud of the coil. You should get a reading on both touches (contacts). If not, check the spring terminal inside the rubber boots of the spark plug wire. Poor or no continuity of a coil is one reason for s/plug fouling.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

They might be the original, I'm not 100% sure. Upon inspection they look good, no cracks. I found that one of the plug wires on one coil is cut, I have no idea how deep, I taped it up with electric tape, I know it isn't that big of a cut. The motor doesn't cough, I don't even recall it sputtering when running it.

I believe doing the test you posted would be the best route, I didn't think about doing it :redface:. Maybe I was hearing the sierra numbers when I was told the "new numbers"? Somebody said that number changed 3 times or more. We have a timing light but it is older then the hills. Throttle plates are closed and seem to be in sync.

What is the going price for these coils? I feel like the marina I'm dealing with is trying to put one over on me.

jbjennings

Captain

Wildmanimal,
I'm almost certain that crowleymarine.com has parts diagrams that go back that far and show part numbers and prices to get you in the ball park.
Hope you get it running, IT'S FISHIN' TIME!:)
Good luck,
JBJ

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Wildmanimal,
I'm almost certain that crowleymarine.com has parts diagrams that go back that far and show part numbers and prices to get you in the ball park.
Hope you get it running, IT'S FISHIN' TIME!:)
Good luck,
JBJ

Thanks for the info. The merina I was dealing with was trying to charge me $38 a piece for the coils. I'll check the website out, I believe I've been on that website before, been a while.

Tell me about it, even my uncle said I need to get her running. I'm trying to get this motor straightened out as quick as possible, before crappie season slips away.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Well I tested the coils with my GE ohm meter set on 1k, every coil had maxed out the meter needle every which way I checked it. So this must be telling me that the coils are still good. I have a digital meter available if need be, but I really don't know what it should be reading on each coil.

Had to drill and tap 2 holes on my choke shaft/rod for the one carb, I broke 2 screws off in that yesterday :mad:. I'm glad I got that fixed, I found out that those choke shafts are no longer available new :eek:. I'm not out of the woods yet I still got to get everything back together when I get the carbs back.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

you can look at any diagram, parts list and prices here for your motor.

http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=fbda37e22acc690e12a5899b787aa3e8

It shows the part there on the diagram but it has no numbers by it, I looked at it yesterday also, and looked at the BRP website. No numbers pointing to that choke shaft. I called the closest marina up and he said "that part is no longer available". If things work out I won't half to worry about it because I have this one fixed but I still half to worry about putting it back together and breaking other screws. The marina I'm talking about is a BRP parts dealer.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I went back and checked these coils with the digital meter, set the meter to 20k and got a reading of 0.28 and 0.29 out of each coil. Once again I have no idea on what this meter needs to be set on. Maybe somebody can make something out of this.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i just clicked the link 1978 85 #24 0581819 COIL ASSY. 4 $35.99 USD

also cross refs to
BMC 584561
CDI 1832366
DMS 30000730
SIE 185176

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

TD I thanks you for the post, so really the marina wasn't trying to pull one over on me after all.

I must of been getting my wires crossed earlier when I posted about the choke shaft, I was thinking that you were talking like the shaft is still available.

The meter would really jump all over the place then settle at .29, once again with it set at 20k, I believe I must have bad coils. Obviously on all 4.