1976 Marlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdawgtx

Recruit
Just wondering if anyone has ever seen this model of Marlin before? I bought it about 3 weeks ago and can't seem to find any info or even any older pictures across the net. It sure doesn't seem to fit in with any of the other models Marlin made in the late 70's. To me it looks like it was styled to look like the 50's and early 60's Dorsett or Skagit boats. Fly bridge windshield is off in these pictures.

Thanks for any info you may have!

Justin

PIC-0250.jpg

PIC-0237-1.jpg

ebry710

Ensign
Re: 1976 Marlin

http://www.iboats.com/Marlin__Outboard/bp/42br1285bt3

I have a 1974 Marlin Neptune. Your boat could be a cutty, but I do not have details like size etc. The above link has data from iboats. No pictures though. My neptune sticker is on my port side towards the stern. If you get me more data I can help search for you. :)

Welcome to iboats

jdawgtx

Recruit

Hi Ebry - Thanks for posting and sorry my reply is so late. I did track down some info on my 1976 Marlin. My hunch that it was based on older boats was correct. Here is some info pulled from my question about the boat on another forum:

"Your boat is a 1976 Marlin. There have been several "Marlin" boat companies but this one in particular acquired the Dorsett molds during and after American Marine Corp. Inc. disaster.

American Marine Corp. Inc. bought up a ton of different manufacturers and they ran all of them into the ground. At one time they owned: Dorsett, Bell Boy, Marlin, Reinell and more.

They made a Marlin "Catalina/San Juan" style boat like you see in the pics up until 1978.

A different company in California called Sierra boats made a similar model from Dorsett's molds for about a year in 1977/78."

ebry710

Ensign

I believe my marlin was built in Oregon.

"Don't quote me on this...but I believe Marlin boats were mfg'd in White City, Oregon. Don't know if they're still in business or not. Rumor I heard was they sold out to Reinell." Walter: iboats

"I have a 1971 Neptune model, 15' tri-hull. Great boat, made in Oregon by the way, but very little info on the company is available." Oregon Jon: iboats

jdawgtx

Recruit

Here is some pictures of a boat made by a company called Sierra that used the same molds that were used to make my boat.

My mfg plate says it was made in White City, Oregon too.

Here is a link to the thread that I took the info out of that I posted before:
http://www.fiberglassics.com/forms/forum818/showmessage.asp?fm=Forum&messageID=21519

That makes two outboard versions of my boat that I have seen pics of, but still haven't seen another inboard yet.

Justin

Attachments

• sierra1.jpg
    sierra1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 0
  • sierra2.jpg
    sierra2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 0

ebry710

Ensign

Yes, that is the same company as my 15 footer. Good boat.

leakinleana2

Recruit

Dorsett burned down in 1972 in Redwood City ca. marlin took what molds they had, you have a "catalena" modle. nice one to.

thkeeler

Cadet

I realize this is an old post but thought I'd respond anyway. I just "acquired" what I'm sure is the same boat. The title says says it is a 1979 Marlin 18'. It has a 90 hp Evinrude VRO outboard. It got caught under a wharf during the recent tsunami & flipped over. I helped the owner right it & pumped it out. He'd just put the motor on it & spent some other time & money on it & when he saw it he became discouraged & sold her to me what he believed was very cheep (I'm not so sure, lol). She seems lightly built, but this seems to make her fast & somewhat more economical to run. I also have a Mako 19 of the same vintage with the same outboard & the Marlin is much faster & more comfortable when it's a little sloppy, probably due to a much lighter displacement & a deeper V. The Marlin will do about 30 kts at 5500 RPM & the Mako does about 24 kts. The Marlin burns about half as much fuel, but this may be due in part the the condition of the engine.
I need a windshield for the Marlin badly! If anyone knows where I get a windshield for her, or how I might go about making one, preferably a curved plastic one like she had originally, I'd sure like to hear from you!

Status
Not open for further replies.