hoisting an Etec 150

kmdfluker

Seaman Apprentice
I?m looking to find out how to hoist a 2007 Etec 150 HP.

I?ve been told to screw into the cam shaft at the top of the motor. Theres 3 places to screw into one dead center and 2 others in line with center. Is there a special tool ? or will any eye bolt do the job.

Please advise

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: hoisting an Etec 150

No camshaft on an E-tec (it's a two stroke remember). It does have a crankshaft however on top of which sits a flywheel into which a lifting bracket can be attached. But check the engine for a lifting bracket. Don't know if the E-tecs have them but Evinrudes used to have a lifting bracket.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You need to buy the lifting eye, or rig your own as most have, that allows you to place grade 8 bolts into those three holes, so that the motor can be lifted. The bolts needed are 5/16-24 Fine.

Another type of lifting eye has large threaded center that allow the device to replace the flywheel nut, OMC Part # 396748. Here is something similar to that available here at iboats.

http://www.iboats.com/Lifting_Eye/dm...view_id.369336

You need to use hardened bolts as stated and the center bolt/eye will need to press against the crankshaft as well. By making the center eybolt press against the crankshaft, you will be maintaining steady pressure on on three bolts and keeping equal lifting pressure on them when manouevering. If you do not maintain this center pressure, 1 of the bolts will have too much strain, risking your safety and your outboards.

I simply used a harmonic balancer puller with a lifting eye rigged to it. Much cheaper.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Fluker, My '98 Johnny 150 has two places molded into the block for hooks to be placed to lift the motor. One is near the starter, the other is on the other side of the block.

BTW - The flywheel cover on my motor does not allow for the screw in hook or grade 8 bolts to be used, w/o removal.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

The flywheel on the small block V6 E-Tecs is entirely different than earlier motors. The flywheel is held down by five studs, each with a nut. There is no large center nut, but there are two tapped holes, which may be used with a harmonic balancer puller for lifting or pulling the flywheel. Alternatively, a special tool 434649 may be used for pulling (and it appears lifting as well.) There is a special lifting tool as well 342672, but it looks like you can do without that.

kmdfluker

Seaman Apprentice

High Trim

Thanks for all the detail.

Not sure, but there's also a molded hole in the block on the side where the cables come in and two other machined holes on either side of the top of the block for what looked like hoisting bolts during the manufacturing process - your thoughts on useing these to just pick it up and put it on the back of the boat?
or for that matter straps run between the motor and the mounting bracket.

Again thanks

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

I would just get a harmonic balancer puller (< $15 at most auto parts shops) and rig nylon rope under the puller. I did that with an '85 Johnson 140 with a come-a-long and it worked fine. Just make sure to get Gr 8 bolts so you don't put the tapped holes in the flywheel at risk. You can also use the puller if you ever need to pull the flywheel.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Jim, as he said, you will use that harmonic balancer puller one day. Purchasing an eyelets that fits it may make it a bit safer and easier, especially if you are using a crane type lift, but the rope will work Im sure. Do not cheap out on the Grade 8 bolts. Removing the lu will signifigantly decrease the weight if you are at all worried. Planning on doing the water pump anyway?