Generic Tilt/Trim Replacement/Upgrade ?

D'Hag

Recruit
I have a '79 Champion bass boat with a '79 Mercury V-150 outboard.

I've been wondering if there is any sort of generic aftermarket replacement tilt/trim motor/pump setup?

I mean, I'm looking at this system, and I see two big hydraulic cynlinders that lift the motor. It appears to me that pretty much any reversible hydraulic pump of sufficient pressure could lift and lower the motor.

I'm hoping that a simple flush and oil refill will make mine work correctly. (It works. Barely. Very slow. The oil is white from whipped-in air.) But if I have to replace anything, the prices for replacement parts are just crazy. Thus my question. Seems to me a newer system would not only work better, but maybe add high-speed operation that wasn't available on this older unit.

rndn

Commander
Re: Generic Tilt/Trim Replacement/Upgrade ?

Welcome to the iboats forum!!:):)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Yes two reversible hydraulic cylinders will indeed tilt the motor up/down. However, the PTT units have a valve body that holds the trim position against full throttle pushing the motor down. That is the tricky part.

On your motor, change the PTT fluid, as white fluid cannot be a good thing. Your motor likely uses 5w-30 motor oil, and needs to be bled. I presume you have the two cylinder and remote pump and resvoir style. The bleed screws on the cylinders need to be opened when the cylinders are in the correct position to let out trapped air. Check the electrical connections as well as the solenoid(s) for clean connections.

D'Hag

Recruit

D'Hag

Recruit

Yes two reversible hydraulic cylinders will indeed tilt the motor up/down. However, the PTT units have a valve body that holds the trim position against full throttle pushing the motor down. That is the tricky part.

On your motor, change the PTT fluid, as white fluid cannot be a good thing. Your motor likely uses 5w-30 motor oil, and needs to be bled. I presume you have the two cylinder and remote pump and resvoir style. The bleed screws on the cylinders need to be opened when the cylinders are in the correct position to let out trapped air. Check the electrical connections as well as the solenoid(s) for clean connections.

Thankfully, I was able to get an official Mercury shop manual for my unit. In going through that, it looks like new oil will fix it. The whole procedure is there.

I thought it funny that the system uses motor oil (5W-30, as you said), instead of a true hydraulic pump oil, which is less prone to foaming.

Is there any advantage to using synthetic motor oil?

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

There is most likely no advantage to using a synthetic in this application. You might see a better flow characteristic if it is really cold outside, but then most likely your lake is froze over!!! LOL

Use regular 5w-30 oil.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

ARCO sells replacement PTT motors. You will need to match your's up. if it is the same as my '77 Merc1500, the motor and resvoir are a single unit. I also think the new PTT motor/resvoir unit will come with a armature extender adapter, since the armature needs to extend to the bottom of the resvoir.