Cold starting 9.9

carpenterken

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 2001 Honda 9.9 that requires any where from 30-50 pulls to get it to start if it has sat for any amount of time. It acts like there is no choke. This motor has less than 20 hours on it. I keep the throttle to the full off possession.
When it finely starts to fire, it will put put for a few strokes then back to pulling till the next put put. Do you think the choke could be plunged? It doesn't look like a butterfly choke.
Thanks,
Ken

peterc38

Seaman
Re: Cold starting 9.9

I had a BF 9.9 that had a very tempermental choke as well. Not the same year (mine was a 2004). It usually happened after I was running, shut it off, then went to restart 10-15 minutes later. What worked for me was giving it more throttle (not less) to start.

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

Try a couple of quick turns to full throttle and back to 0 just before cranking.
Maybe that and a can of Sea Foam will help.
Plus grade gas is better than regular, especially with no ethanol.

eipeldau

Seaman Apprentice

Ken,

My BF20 came with both the choke and the accelerator pump circuits obstructed, from the crate. It was almost impossible to get it started when cold. They probably ran the engine for tests in Japan and "forgot" to drain the fuel system. I carefully cleaned the circuits and it now runs perfectly. I'm pretty sure your case can be a lot like mine. I also suggest adding fuel stabilizer and a water-separating filter in the future.

Good luck, and let me know if I can help you any further!

Henrique

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Do not do anything with that twist grip on a cold start.By doing so you are defeating the somewhat automatic enrichener.These are ordinarlly first or second pull engines so if it will not start with the throttle relaxed we may be having another conversation.

carpenterken

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ken,

My BF20 came with both the choke and the accelerator pump circuits obstructed, from the crate. It was almost impossible to get it started when cold. They probably ran the engine for tests in Japan and "forgot" to drain the fuel system. I carefully cleaned the circuits and it now runs perfectly. I'm pretty sure your case can be a lot like mine. I also suggest adding fuel stabilizer and a water-separating filter in the future.

Good luck, and let me know if I can help you any further!

Henrique
Do they make inline water-separating filters?
I pulled the carb today (the looked very clean inside) and sprayed Carb Cleaned through all the ports. I did not know the 4 strokes had Accelerator pumps on them (mine seamed to be working fine). I do not have the Tank home with the motor so I'll test fire her later. It appears with the Accelerator pump you can just pump the handle to give it a few squirts of fuel on the cold mornings.
Thanks all,
Ken

eipeldau

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Ken,

I have a Racor filter installed. It's somewhat bulky and has to be attached to a vertical surface of your boat. I don't know about inline water-separator filters, but they may exist. Here in Brazil you really need to have water separated from gasoline, since our gas has 25% ethanol in it.

When you clean the carb you should make sure the whole choking circuit is not obstruted. There's an inner passage, in the bowl's frame, from its bottom to an adjacent "pit", from where a brass tube sucks fuel up to the choke valve. Both the inner passage and the brass tube should be clean. You can easily check them with choke cleaner spray, like you did. If you checked these elements, your choke should work, unless the choke valve itself is faulty. You also have the air-inlet and mixture-outlet circuits, but these are of large diameter and are certainly ok.

The accelerator pump is there to help you with quick accelerations from idling. It momentaneously gives you extra fuel to compensate the sudden higher air flow. I don't think pumping the handle before cranking could help you very much in cold starts, except for the very first explosions. Hondon's advice is very important: For the choking circuit to work, you can only have the throttle at the idling position. If you move it, you won't have the air pressure drop deep enough to suck the fuel from the choke port.

Good luck!

Henrique

carpenterken

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I hooked the tank up, pumped her a few times, and she fired up on the first pull.
Thanks Guys.