average price for an overhaul

spacerust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
what's the average price for an overhaul? I have a 1975 Mercury 150HP and live in South Texas? What does an overhaul consist of? Can the average home mechanic do this? Time? Parts availability?

gss036

Commander
Re: average price for an overhaul

You will pay a lot more for a rebuild than what the motor is worth. Maybe time to go looking for a running used motor.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Your 150 should be a Inline 6 for 1975. I charge customers 550.00 plus parts. I dont know what some people call a overhaul but, mine consists of the following...
Bore engine to oversize, replace all pistons & rings, replace all bearings(upper, mains,lower,rod & wrist) replace all seals, gaskets and hoses, replace bleed restricters, replace diverter/divider plate and gasket,rebuild carbs and rejet, reinstall all electrical & ignition, set timings and test run in tank/lake.
A home mechanic can do but will need some special ring compressors to reinstall crank/piston assy. Availability of parts pretty common..

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if its a freshwater motor, rebuild it.
if its a saltwater unit scrap it as nothing comes apart.
but 500 to 100 for labor is about right, parts price will vary but do all 6 holes while your in there :)

MaggieRose

Seaman

Just finished my V6 rebuild for $1200. Engine had 520 hours on it when 2 pistons seized. Ended up replacing 3 pistons, full set of rings, seals and gaskets, needle bearings. Instead of replacing the OEM reeds, I installed Boyesen power reeds.

One big mistake I made was using a puller to get the flywheel off, broke 3 magnets :eek: in the process. If you do the work, get the Merc flywheel puller. A used flywheel cost me an additional 220, Merc flywheel sells for about :rolleyes: 360.

I am now seven hours into the ten hour breakin period. SOOO far, so good.

Many thanks to all of you out there that have answered my posts with some very good tips and advice.

Good luck.