Bennett trim limit or retractor?

DrD

Seaman
I have very little experience with Bennett trim tabs. What limits the extremes (full up and full down) to keep the hpu from running past the endpoints, if the helm switches are engaged too long?

How does the Bennett automatic retractor work? Is it just a timer relay that energizes the retract wiring circuit long enough to raise the trim plates? If so, installing would only amount to getting in series with the "bow up" circuit of each switch, correct? (as opposed to installing anything at the hpu or trim rams).

Thank you,

-Dale-

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bennett trim limit or retractor?

"What limits the extremes (full up and full down)" ....the mechanical travel limits of the trim tab cylinder.

The auto trim tab retractor is pretty much a black box. I suspect that you are correct on it being a timer relay....but it is connected in parallel not series.

DrD

Seaman

"What limits the extremes (full up and full down)" ....the mechanical travel limits of the trim tab cylinder.

Do you know what happens at the end of the mechanical travel limit? If you continue to hold down the switch, will the trim tab mechanism find an electrical cut out switch, or pump bypass? Currently, I don't have indication on my boat to tell fully retracted status. I don't want the trim tabs to try to overun the traveler, until they self destruct; for example.

I dry stack the boat, and so I need to be sure they are retracted when ready for the barn. It is difficult to see them when in the slip, and so I can't always be sure they are fully up.

It seems like the Benett ATR would only need to connect to the helm switch, and so might be a very easy install. (No wires to run back to the transom, etc.)

Any specific info would be helpful. Thanks.

-Dale-

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you turn off the ignition, the trim tab retractor will run the hydraulic pump for about 5-7 seconds, regardless of the trim tab position, retracting the trim tabs. There are no electrical switches in the trim tab cylinders to switch off the pump, so pump would have to go into bypass.

If my memory serves me correct, there are 6 wires coming out of the trim tab retractor module. The small orange goes to the switched 12 volts from the ignition switch. The large orange wire goes to a 12 volt power source and should be fused with a 20 amp fuse. The black wire is connected to ground. The yellow, red and green wires all get connected in to wires going back to the trim tabs.

Since the retractor is electrically connected parallel to the trim tab switches, you can mount and make the electrical connections where ever is the easiest to mount/access.

The Bennett auto trim tab retractor and ATC2000 auto trim tab control will also work fine when installed/connected to trim tabs manufactured by Boat Leveler.

I doubt Bennett would make a trim tab retractor that would damage the trim tabs if the pump ran for period of time once the trim tab cylinder reached the mechanical limit.

DrD

Seaman

Thanks, I think I have a pretty good understanding after reading through your helpful post and other research on the net.

-Dale-

Tiki35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi, I just installed the Bennett M120 kit with the EIC5000. The helm switch has an orange wire (the power) and a purple wire which is the autoretract. Both of these I believe should be connected to switched circuits (on when the key is on and off when it is turned off). I have a normal fuse panel on my 1991 Trophy and a 2000 Mercury 150 outboard (5 pole igniton switch-push to choke). Can anyone tell me where to connect these two wires cuz I can't find a switched circuit on my fuse panel.

Thank you very much,

Tiki35