Starter Motor Will Not Shut Off

bbrnhart

Cadet
I have a 4.3L V6 Mercruiser 1992. When I start the motor and release the starter the starter stays engaged. I shut off the ignition and the starter motor continues to crank over the engine. The only way to shut it off is to shut off the battery switch. I suspect that probably blew my alternator also.

I jumped the ignition switch with a spare and it does the same thing, so I believe I ruled out a faulty switch. With this starter what else might it be? The bendix yoke or the solenoid? I suspect the solenoid?

I'm not much of a contortionist and it takes one to remove and install this starter. I want to do it right the first time.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starter Motor Will Not Shut Off

Could be the slave solenoid sticking or the actual starter solenoid.
Did this start on it's own, or were you by some chance working on the starter?

mbroome

Seaman Apprentice

I'll bet you 100.00 your positive battery lead going to the starter solenoid (on top of the starter) is crossing over and touching the hot post on the starter itself. Either it was loose and fell or youve been working on it.

bbrnhart

Cadet

I moved it Friday from my old marina to a new one and it ran great. About a 1/2 run between marinas. Went to go for a ride with the family Saturday. Started the engine and the starter would not disengage. Got her shut down, restarted ok. Tried it again and the starter would not disengage again. The bendix yoke is nylon so it would not be frozen.

There is a solenoid on the starter itself. Is there a remote solenoid that might be causing it? I was not aware of a second solenoid??

Thanks

Bob

mbroome

Seaman Apprentice

you should have the starter solenoid on top of the starter as well as an assist solenoid somewhere on/ near your motor. Either can be stuck closed!

Don S

Is there a remote solenoid that might be causing it?
Yes, it's called a slave solenoid.
Should be an the bracket next to the circuit breaker on the engine.

Startwiring.png

bbrnhart

Cadet

Thanks guys. I'll give that a try. I just happen to have a spare from a few years ago when my ignition switch went out. I'll try anything before I pull that d*mn starter. I am getting too old for starter removal. I end up with bruises all over from contorting myself in and around the engine trying to reach the starter bolts

mbroome

Seaman Apprentice

i feel ya. I just pulled my starter from a 79 wellcraft with a stringer setup. talk about a BIOTCH! I pulled it a week ago and am waiting for my new starter to get here tommorow. Im not cherishing the thought of putting the new one in......

Coors

Captain

Don has stickies in here; find them and print out, then keep them in the boat.
You need a factory manual, study it good.
Not being able to re-start on open water sucks.

bbrnhart

Cadet

Got her fixed. It was the solenoid on the starter.

I could get her started it was the little extra HP from the starter that bothered me.

Don S

I could get her started it was the little extra HP from the starter that bothered me.

Say What?????

Could you explain that statement please?

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I suspect that probably blew my alternator also.
Darn good chance ya did...next fire..stick a meter on the the batt..charges with R's, ya OK...if not, toast..most Alts do now like what ya did..but could be wrong, not knowing the whole ball of "boat"..