Surge brakes (Main cylinder rebuild query...)

gfh110

Cadet
Hey all,

I have a Dico Model 60 actuator on this brake system I'm working on and there was a leak inside the reservoir/main cylinder unit. I pulled out the old cylinder, gaskets, and spring and replaced them with a rebuild kit, but now I find myself sans pressure of any kind.

I lined the original and rebuild parts up and measured them and they're identical down to the smallest part. The only thing I can think of is maybe the internal spring is getting held up on something and keeping the cylinder closed, preventing fluid from getting into the system. I'd rather not buy a new master cylinder for the simple reason that this gives me something to do at night.

Thoughts?

-Jerry

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Surge brakes (Main cylinder rebuild query...)

Did you hone the cylinder bore? If there are any pits or scratches, you will have no pressure. Brake cylinder hones are inexpensive but so are cylinders. Save yourself the grief and replace the cylinder. I will assume you had the bleeder screws open so the unit can pump fluid rather compress air.

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Surge brakes (Main cylinder rebuild query...)

If you are not thouroghly familiar with bleeding a brake cylinder get someone to help you that is. Keep the lines off until you have fluid leaking out, then attach and bleed the whole system.

There are a few master cylinders that can be assembled wrong, ie. one spring and cup reversed, etc. Check the assembly diagram to make sure you did it right. Many of us have done worse.

Take your time, measure, analyze. The answer will become obvious.

Good luck!