which auto engine is the same as AQ125a?

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
I've got a 1983 Bayliner capri with a Volvo 125a and 270 outdrive. Last year someone posted somewhere that this is the same engine as in a certain model car.... I can't remember and need to know! Can anyone answer this for me? I'm thinking it is a 240 volvo about the same year.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer
Re: which auto engine is the same as AQ125a?

it's a 76-82 240 Volvo.

And if I recall correctly it's either a b19 or b21 block with of course a different cam as well as the usual marinized suspects.

M

RandyJ

Thanks guys. Other than the legal aspects now I need to know the difference between a marine fuel pump and an automobile fuel pump for this engine. I won't put one on that is not safe....but if there's no significant difference then I'm going for the one which is easiest to get and I'm sure there is only a few bucks difference in price.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The marine pump is designed to put the fuel that leaks from a ruptured diaphram into the carb, and not on the ground like an automotive. No drain holes in the pump housing. That is what that clear hose from the pump to the carb does. Carries away the leaking gas without causing an explosion or fire problem.

RandyJ

Thanks Don... when I looked it up, the automotive engines of that era only came equipped with electric fuel pumps... then of all things, my wholesaler sent me a bad pump that had already been returned! Finally got a good one the second round and it worked perfect!