99 Evinrude 90 hp Tilt/Trim Troubles

emptyspaces02

Recruit
Hey Guys,
I've searched and searched and keep finding similar threads but no luck finding my exact problem or solution. I just bought my boat last summer and I didn't have any problems with it all season. I just pulled it out of storage and went out on the lake the other night. Brought it home, parked it, and the next day I noticed the motor was trimmed all the way up. Couldn't remember if we forgot to put it down on the jack or what but now it won't go back down by either of the switches.

I've checked the fluid and used the manual release to bring it down but as soon as I tighten the manual release the motor automatically brings it right back up to its highest point. Push the down switch, it moves a hair and stops, then right back up on its own.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it very much. In very bad spot right now, have trips planned next weekend and need my boat. Thanks.

emptyspaces02

Recruit
Re: 99 Evinrude 90 hp Tilt/Trim Troubles

So I spent the day really looking over everything and I've came down to a possible solution. I was looking at the switch that the motor pushes down as it hits the bracket and thought maybe it had went bad. I traced the wires to a plug under the carb cover and disconnected it. Now I can get the motor to trim down with the switch but not up, so I figure this has something to do with it.

Does this help narrow it down for anyone? Could this be the source of my problem and what is the name for this switch?

Last edited: