1993 Johnson 48 Spl Stalling

Stewbur2000

Recruit
I have a 1993 Johnson 48spl That keeps stalling out then the only way to get it started is to play with the manual adjuster on the primer does anyone have any ideas:confused::confused::confused:

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1993 Johnson 48 Spl Stalling

Hello to you,
My question to you is how or what is your procedure on starting your motor? This is the way I start my outboard motor:

1. Make sure remote contrrol throttle lever is in neutral
2. Make sure your kill switch is in the normal configuration with the clip installed
3. Pump up your primer bulb until hard
4. Make sure the vent on your gas tank is opened
5. go back to the remote control and raise your fast idle or warm up lever about a quarter of the way or half way
6. Push in on the key and count 8 seconds then as you keep the key pushed in start the motor you might have to bump the key until it runs on its own
7. After it is warmed up take her out for the run of the day.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

disagree with #5 lever all the way up. it sounds like you have a fuel restriction problem. dirty carbs, filter, weak fuel pump, air leak in fuel line.

Big Bubba

Tashasdaddy,
Not a problem, I baby my engine I guess to much and scared I will blow my 88 SPL up if I raise the warm up lever all the way up. Thanks a bunch and thanks for all of your help in my situation. I am back from Osan Korea and am so happy to be back in the USA. Bob:)

tashasdaddy

Bob, glad to have you back. the reason for all the way up is it advances the spark and fuel. then lower it as soon as it starts. if yours starts 1/4 - 1/2 it's tuned very well.

Stewbur2000

Recruit

Thanks For the help I'm think its the carbs because my problem has nothing to do on the throttle lever side its all on the engine side I have to move the manual adjuster on the primer to get her to start and with some luck I get her started but then it race up and i have to adjust and then it all of a sudden just dies down. I'm new to this site and this is a great site thanks again for the help

tashasdaddy

Attachments

• carb tool.JPG
    carb tool.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 0
  • FixedJetScrewdriver2.jpg
    FixedJetScrewdriver2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 0

Stewbur2000

Recruit

Thanks Both of you you were a great help it wound up the Jets on the carbs were clogged one partial and one totally. I also didn't know about pushing the key in for 8 seconds well she is good to go now starts at half choke. and stays running thanks again:):):)

Big Bubba

Stwerbrew,
No problem. Glad I was able to help you out and glad the carb was all it was the problem. Take care, Bob:)