fiberglassing how-to e-books

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
Anyone know of where to get e-books on how to glass or any other boating related e-books or things like a e-book with a how-too type theme to it? I Can glass but i see that there is so manny different ways that people do things i want to learn as much as possible before i start glassing new material to my boat. I dont know if this should be here or in chat so ill put it in there too. Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: fiberglassing how-to e-books

google fiberglass repair, you can read for a week.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

google fiberglass repair, you can read for a week.

Yea but ive noticed that when you do that you get 100 different ways to do 1 specific thing. And its all from diffrent amatures so its hard to tell what is what. I know what to do and i have done a lot of glassing but it seems like there are tricks that i learn here and there and some basics that i dont know.

Thanks for that youtube link also.
Andy

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the fiberglass repair manual..is an exellent source......it is avalible here on i boats....allan. h vertasies......(last name sp?)

ill pm ya an answer. as soon as i can get a break from coustomers....
but i think you might have some bonding issues...and the wax is a finishing product

oops!

Supreme Mariner

and your rght about the "i did it this way" thing......

the only people that are going to tell you the right way are the manufacturers fo thier product.......but....

doing the basics will get you by well enough.....wet out...matt..cloth...(generic term_...matt......

just enough resin to saturate the glass..no more no less

Robj

Lieutenant

Just do a search on the topic here at iboats. Another good site on boat restoration is boatdesign.net. That is how I learned, but by no means am I an expert. Just like women, some like them fat, some skinny, some short, some tall. There are just as many opinions on boat restoration and glassing. Do lots of reading and then decide for yourself which is the best way for you.

Have a great day,

Rob

Speakrdude

Ensign

This is all "Full Circle" for Don and myself.

Thanks again Don.

Jim

jonesg

Admiral

Everyone develops their own preference to work with resins, you find the method that suits you personally.

I only had a pamphlet to guide me in pulling molds, after a few molds I started making multi part molds with removeable fences and air lines to inject compresse air , thats usefull if a parts isn't cooperative during removal.

Once you have the basics down its all personal style.
Start somewhere non too critical, you get the hang of it in no time.

A common mistake already mentioned is dumping that extra resin onto the glass, it will cause the glass to actually float on the excess resin and the glass to glass bond is lost. Capillary action holds the cloth down when its wetted out just right.

The best way I learned not to use too much resin was having to sand all the extra off again.

Watching a pro is a joy, but it never stopped me from screwing up.!
You can read about it til the cows come home but at some point you have to put the manual down and pick up the tools. Have a go.