adhesive question

nightvision

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,
A friend of mine is lending me his fishfinder unit to test it out on my boat. The unit has a tansom mount transducer. I'm want to just temporarily attach the transducer to my transom for about 2-3 weeks. I can not find a sunction cup setup in town, so i'm thinking of using adhesive. Would silicone work? I was thinking of thinking of attaching the tranducer to a small piece of wood and then use adhesive to attach the wood to the fiberglass. I do want to remove it without damage to my fiberglass in a couple weeks. What adhesive would work. Thanks for the the recommendation.

sbklf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: adhesive question

I think it needs to be fairly strong. I would screw on to something like maybe an aluminum plate to get more adhesion area and then maybe 3m 5200 or marine goop it to the transome.

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

Silicone is an excellent adhesive but you may have trouble removing it without damaging the gel and paint.
3m 5200 will be almost impossible to remove without some damage.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

just screw it on, the fill the hole with marinetex, or 3m 5200.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Silicone is an excellent adhesive but you may have trouble removing it without damaging the gel and paint.
3m 5200 will be almost impossible to remove without some damage.

Yep Don't use 5200

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i read a post in here somewhere where a guy threw the transducer in his bilge with some water in it....he said it worked great

cbavier

Lieutenant

i read a post in here somewhere where a guy threw the transducer in his bilge with some water in it....he said it worked great

My Instruction sheet for my Thru Hull Transducer says you can do this as long as the boat is not moving/underway. I still don't think that is a good solution. Even for temporary. I like the block of wood idea somebody suggested and using a waterproof silicone to adhere the wood to the hull. I think for short term use as originally ask the the silicone will work fine and then just peel it up off the hull.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I had the same situation and what worked very well for me were zip ties and the small square plastic peel a stick mounts made for them. Just clean the surface and attach transducer to the small mounts with zip ties first so you can get the transducer positioned correctly, because when you put them in place it can be very difficult to pull them off and use them again, you'll need to use a new mount.

This worked so well that the mount stayed in place for years and only came off when I put on a whole new set up.

Robj

Lieutenant

My last choice for a temporary install would be to drill holes. Would only do that if I was really desperate. don't like drilling unnecessary holes in the hull. Maybe try 4200, it is semi-removable. When I install mine, I will use 5200, you can remove it mechanically with minimal damage to the hull.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

i would use silicone, should be able to peel it off and it shouldent fall off