need help with 1984 90hp v4

bpd119

Seaman
I have a 1984 90hp evinrude v4 vro. i am attempting to replace the water pump but cant get the lower unit off. i can get it down about an inch but thats about it. the manual says i either have to disconnect the shift wires or the shift rod depending on the motor. well i cant seem to find either. also the motor lets off some oil in the water i heard it could be from the exhaust seal in the lower unit. anyone have part numbers or what this is actually called so i can order it. any help with either of these would be excellent thanks in advance

iwombat

Captain
Re: need help with 1984 90hp v4

You need to remove the shift rod. Should be a screw right under the bottom carb attaching to an eye in the shift rod coming up from the lower unit.

Put some of the bolts back in part way that hold the LU to the midsection while you detach the shift rod. It's really no fun to drop a lower unit smack on the ground.

bpd119

Seaman

ok thanks i was looking under the lower carb but couldnt see it. anyone have any input on the exhaust seal?

bpd119

Seaman

anyone know the seal i am talking about, i would like to order it while the marina is open. thanks