Helmut Bushing

Albe24

Cadet
There is alot of "play/slop" between the Helmut nut and bushing and was going to try and replace. How does the bushing come out (pressed/threaded)? and from what side? Should I replace both of them or can I just replace the bushing?
Thank you..

DP-A2 outdrive

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Helmut Bushing

if you are talking about the center pin with the 2 5/16 bolts holding it down its easy to remove. usually i pull the 2 bolts then grab the drive and firmly shake it side to side to break the pin free as corrosion usually keeps it stuck down. sometimes i can work it free with a screwdriver twisting and pulling on a bolt i just place back in without screwing it, or you can use 1 of the 2 jacking holes, the 2 smaller holes in the pin, these are both 1/4 unc holes and usually require cleaning out before a bolt will thread in as they can get full of crap. the helmet pin is only in the drive a short way, less then 1/4 of an inch so it only needs to come up a short way. the bushing in the helmet threads out, sometimes a little heat will help get it moving. the bushing screws out from under the helmet, it has a couple of slots you can get a punch on.

the fact remains this area is a but a small part of all the areas that make that drive have so much side to side play when its not loaded

Albe24

Cadet

Thanks for replying.... There was a some verticle and horizontal play when the helmut nut was attached, but with it disconnected the drive is vertually solid, that's why I was focussing on the helmut bushing, unless I'm not putting it back together correctly? is there a certain way/method for re-installing the attachment bolt? It really is pretty loose. Thanks again.

Mike H

Cadet

Are you talking about the helmet Pin if so remove with 1/4in bolts
screw in and thay will back out the pin.

MikeH

Attachments

• Out Drive Hear 50%.JPG
    Out Drive Hear 50%.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 0

Mike H

Cadet

Hear what it looks like inside MikeH

Attachments

• Out Drive 011  50%.JPG
    Out Drive 011 50%.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is this the bushing you were referring to?

helmutbushing.png

Mike H,
I sure hope you measured all the shim thickness so you can put the proper shim pack thickness on each side of the bearing box. Otherwise you will not have proper gear backlash and contact pattern.

Mike H

Cadet

Im glad you brought this up im going to start a new thead
on this

MikeH

Albe24

Cadet

Yes Don S., that is the bushing I'm referring to, the 4 hole nut doesn't sit very tight in the bushing, that's why i was wondering if i need to replace the bushing or maybe I just didn't tighten the nut down right. Both allen head screws are tightened down snug but it's still pretty sloppy between the nut and bushing. Thanks.

DP-A2 outdrive