grrrr- no trans filter

gonefishie

Commander
Re: grrrr- no trans filter

Yeah, I hear ya. I hate dropping the pan, very much a pain in the hiney. I had a Blazer and the gasket needed to be replace. I had to took the cross member out, AND cut off the exhaust pipe just after the catalyst converter to be able to get the pan down. I wonder why they dont' make it as easy as engine oil? It's a good thing you don't have to change tranny oil frequently.

TilliamWe

Banned

here here gone, gonna change my 90 van filter this weekend and the cross member is supposed to be removed.
whywhy, is there a filter somewhere else? How can they not filter transmission fluid?????

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

From WikiAnswers: "on a 2004 2.7 V6, the transmission pan is located on the front side of the transmission case between the radiator and the transmission - normally they are located on the bottom of the tranmission case "

Coors

Captain

A 1999 Dodge, no problems.
I just use more gas.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Subaru is the same way.
No filter to change. All that is in there is a non serviceable screen.
Has drain plug like oil pan.
Just drain the fluid and re-fill.
Very hard to get them not to leak if you drop the pan. Don't ask.:rolleyes:

puddle jumper

Captain

My Ford Focus had a filter that is not changeable. Its a screen that is built into the trans. All i can do is flush every 50,000 kmls. I guess there operating principle is if it plugs up the trans is toast.

This reminds me all of you guys with older Chevs/Gmcs. Late 90s to early 2000s change your tranny fluid and filter often becouse the filters have a nasty way of plugging up. This will lead to early trans problems.

D

DJ

What's the point? Unless you are draining the torque converter, you're just adding a few quarts of new fluid to a lot of old.

Flushing is the only means of doing a thorough job.

SpinnerBait_Nut

What's the point? Unless you are draining the torque converter, you're just adding a few quarts of new fluid to a lot of old.

Flushing is the only means of doing a thorough job.
That's right and Subaru says to do that at X number on miles.
Have 3 of them from 91K to 230K with no problems from any of them.
They get flushed at 12K.

SpinnerBait_Nut

I flush mine by quarts, not a machine.
I drain mine, put new fluid in, drive it up the road and back and drain and re-fill again.
I do this 3 times each flush.
This method recommended by Subie tech that has worked on them for years.

D

DJ

"Spinner" does it the redneck way-LIKE I DO.

1. Two five gallon buckets.

2. One empty, one full, of my desired trans. fluid.

3. Disconnect the trans cooler lines and put the output into the empty bucket and the intake into the full bucket-of trans fluid, of your choice.

4. Run the engine, bring it up to operating temp. and shift through the gears.

5. After about five minutes, you have a trans. "flush".

A lot of wasted fluid but-done. A complete flush. No machines.

I see a lot of trans. failures due to WRONG fluid. Buy what your owners manual says.

I trust the "machines". It's a lot simpler and better, IMHO.

puddle jumper

Captain

I guess what i was trying to say is the tranny filter on these tranys plug up easy with clutch material and when that happens the filter gets sucked up into the valve body
and grenades your trans. You guys are right flushing is the best thing to do, but if there is a changeable filter you still need to change it.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yes PJ, if it is a changeable filter, by all means change it.
Hey DJ, I have done it that way before also.
Was told any trannys with any mileage on them that has never been flushed to stay away from the machines. Too much pressure for older trannys.
So, I use the "redneck" way.

dolluper

Captain

As DJ's said is an excellent way but refill as your pumping out so it doesn't burn up.....it will take you a couple of extra quarts doing it that way ...but worth it in the long run

Coors

Captain

Dunno about other vehicles, but Dodge has a torque converter plug that can be drained, but such a pain to pull the splash guard off- starter has to go.
On my older streeters, I used to cut it, so I could slip it in and out.
But age got me; now I just flush twice.
BUT explain the 5 gallon bucket further, lol

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would it be possible to add an external filter, perhaps using a something like a spin-on adapter for VW's.... Sure would be nice to replace the filter often... since most junk that gets into the fluid must pass thru the cooler circuit before being returned to the pan and then sucked up thru the existing filter, wouldn't this act as a 'prefilter', greatly increasing the operating life of the pan filter? (or in the case of the lack of filter as described above, the ONLY filter)

This and a drain plug added to the pan would make for a nice way to give the tranny a 3000 mile fluid/filter change at the same time engine oil is changed.

Anybody ever see this done? Perhaps the hydraulic industry has something that would be applicable?