Tohatsu 40 HP Problem

mvtrucking

Cadet
I am having a problem when throttling up
as my engine runs beautiful until I open it up to max throttle. The engine then bogs way down and begins missing. I also have to pump up the pressure on the squeeze bulb from the fuel tank every few minutes to keep up fuel pressure or the engine will die? A guy that has some outboard exp mentioned that it could be the fuel pump? Any advice before I take it to the dealer for work would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Don

Edit: Its a 2 stroke 1997 model

solomon

Cadet
Re: Tohatsu 40 HP Problem

I'm certainly no expert, but the first thing I would check is my fuel line.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It could be anything. When the dealer troubleshoots the system they can pin it down to a fuel system or ignition system fault.

mvtrucking

Cadet

I figured it could be just about anything. Thinking back the motor did run very well just before the hesitations started when throttling wide open. At first I thought I had found the problem when I noticed the valve on the fuel tank(On the cap) was screwed shut very tightly. I opened it a turn but still had the hesitation. Then the problem having to pump up the bulb in order to keep it running longer than a few minutes started. I guess the dealer will run it down.(At $75 a hour) Hope they work quickly, lol.:eek: