Considering a Wellcraft Excalibur 2001 with 7.4 (415HP) boat

robsatx

Recruit
It has about 225 hours. What should I look out for? I plan to have a boat tech check it out.

Any word on Wellcraft quality?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Considering a Wellcraft Excalibur 2001 with 7.4 (415HP) boat

Moving to Boat topics and questions

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.

A 30 year old boat motor combo, may be in better condition, than a 3 year old.

TilliamWe

Banned

I am not aware of any 7.4 that was ever rated at 415hp. That hp rating was for the 502 (8.2l) MAG engine. What does the boat really have in it?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, what he said ^^^^^ I am guessing the 385 hp. Bravos are pretty bullet proof, but I'd want to check the Gimbal ring on those. I would post a specific thread about the drive and engine where you started.

As far as the boat, Wellcraft is a strong builder. If I recall the Excalibur has some decal/sticker graphics which are never good as they fade and peel and stuff like that. Just be aware of that. What length? I believe there was more than one. How fast do you want to go? Have you got any experience?