New Vessel Recommendations

cclaffey

Recruit
Hello all, please help me buy a boat.
First post here on the forum. I look forward to reading any and all responses. A little background:
My family has frequented the Pacific NW for over 18yrs vacationing in the summer months, getting our fair share of leisure boating, fishing and cruising. We earned our stripes through the school of hard knocks and hard experiences as do most who come into the blue with no formal training. A power squadron and sailing course drove some knowledge into our heads about what to expect, how to react and the formalities of effective navigation, communication and knot tying, among other skills.

We first came up with a smaller 18ft pleasure craft, and learned quickly that it was much to small for the endeavours we sought. We sold it and bought an old and weathered 23ft Sangster. This boat had been used by a local old-timer and had approx. 3500hrs on it when we bought it. It has served us very well and we got a few great years out of it, but needless to say, the old Sangster (Fishbin) is ready to call it quits, and so are we. It's time for an upgrade!! The family has grown significantly in 18 yrs, there are children with children now, and more and more ppl lfrom the prairies like to tag along for the family vacation.

I am expecting to use this new boat as a family cruiser (maybe 12 ppl on board max but not frequently), a fishing vessel, and probably to be the last boat we buy (for awhile anyways). It won't see alot of weather, as we're protected by significant island masses, but in a few years we may decide to cruise on up/down the coast line on some longer more adventurous activities, and may encounter significantly more chop.

Now, I know there is a huge difference but I want to leave it fairly open. I am thinking a 28 to 38 ft. cabin cruiser/command bridge/pilot house would be ideal, but am open to any suggestions. If you are a firm believer that a Sunbridge is the way, please tell me why. As there are an abundance of options, the one's I am most interested in are: 1. Boat make/model 2. Power (engine type) 3. Leg (e.g. Bravo III) 4. Fuel economy 5. Cruising speed 6. Anything you think is important.
Also, if you want to add things to stay away from, this is welcomed and much appreciated (e.g. Bayliner 2858 is underpowered with 350 need 454). I know I could go to a salesman and he could tell me what he wants me to buy, but I prefer and respect a good honest, thoughtful repsponse as this will be a guide us to many more enjoyable family outings.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Happy boating.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New Vessel Recommendations

have you thought about diesel power?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

cc

WELCOME TO I BOATS

good to hear you've taken the power squad course.....

i think the school of hard knocks has left me with brain damage and wallet drain :eek: :D

im a little confused here.......you say your vacationing from the pariries.

a 38 footer is too big to trailer.....are you going to leave it there?

that will make a big difference as to the recomendations.

when i was there a slip, was 12 bucks a foot a month.....(full power, water ect)...they could be had for as little as 5 ....but those were inside deals...(someone knew someone well)

anything long term ocean over thirty feet....i would also go diesel......
it doesnt have to be a new $800,000 yacht......an older well maintained liveaboard can run as little as 32k around 40 feet.
if you rent it out as a live a board in the winter months. it could be free (to you) moorge.

if your trailering....you need a big truck for 30 feet.....(them's big mountains t'ween you and the water)....30 feet would also give you the versitatilly of local waters if you so choose.......

so i guess more info please

cheers
oops

45Auto

Commander

A rough price range would be helpful.

You looking to buy new, money no object (28' - 38' cruiser - maybe $150,000 to $500,000 price range - not sure here, out of my league!) or something used, maybe $30,000 - $50,000, maybe $75,000 - $100,000, etc.

A general idea would help narrow it down.

I don't think he's trailering it OOPS, I think those prairie people are coming to visit him in the NW and ride on it!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I would seriously look into a 40 diesel Trawler type. Much more practicable and livable too.
Keep an eye on craigslist here...alway something showing up.
Might have trouble finding a slip, but you can always look for a boat with a tranferrable slip. Just takes money (but we are talking boats, and last I looked, nothing cheap!...and quit letting the cat out the bag on summer here...remember it rains everyday!)
PS..good idea to go big and slip, then rent it livable over the winter months. Someone relible to watch over it, and there are many people here looking to rent livaboards..

cclaffey

Recruit

Hey there gang, thanks so much for providing some insight and taking the time to help a guy out. Unblievably appreciated. First off, nickname is Claff...use it freely.
So sorry I left you all a little out of the loop as far as the info went on my first post. There are so many things to consider and great questions you folks asked!!! I'll try to answer them all, working through one at a time.
1. I have tought about Diesel and I think would prefer it, although a little quickness on a nice day is a great feeling. I think I often (and maybe incorrectly) assume diesel automatically means slower, way slower and significantly more costly to purchase. I wonder if the fuel consumption/general boat operations and reliability in a diesel out weigh the loss in raw speed?!
Oops, you cracked me up off the get go. I can't think of how many just plain dumb things we have done out there, if I had a penny for everytime...between running aground in low tide, forgetting a loose canopy up on the bridge, loosing rods/reels, hats, shoes...the list goes on forever. Funny though, how most the time they are a great memory and stir up great laughter around the firepit!!
2. We may (if too big) leave it in a harbour/marina somewhere but most probably (if we can) will have it dry docked in a friend of the families back 40 and have them look afte it for us. So you are right, a 38 ft.'r is probably too big. But it wouldn't need to be trailored far. However, Scaaty you raised an eyebrow...the winter rental/liveaboard idea was something I never thought about...is there a strong market for this? I would have a lot of questions on typical arrangements for this (diff convo I think). Local waters are out of the question, this will be a salt water boat and not be making the trip to Alberta.
3. 45Auto, correct, most ppl (including us) are in Alberta and headed West to enjoy the "Rainy/Dreary Summers" of the Pacific NW. Price range, I guess up to $100,000?!
4. Scaaty, I will review the Trawler, thank you for the tip. I have not looked into them before. RotaryRacer, as for the Ranger type boat, we (boys of the fam.) have truly been impressed by them when walking aboard and checking them out. They seem to have it all, power, reliability, structural integrity, low maintenance. However, I do appreciate a command bridge (somewhere to escape the crowd)...Another key ingredient to the misses...a decorated, eye appealing, sexy look inside and out. I find this boat is calling out my name when I see one, but for a city woman who wants to just cruise around, and a guy who wants to escape the craziness of eight ppl onboard and head up to the top helm, it may be missing that motoryacht type feeling...but I like'm and appreciate the recommendation, I will not cross them off my list.

I guess with that in mind, I can add that we have researched a little bit into the Bayliner crew and thought, for the price, the 3258, 3388, 3488 were pretty nice boats, but am unsure where to go with the broad spectrum of opinions on this brand of boat.
We have appreciated Carvers as well. I think an important recipe is the power and efficiency combination between the engine and leg, while producing solid cruising speeds between 21kt and 27kt. Carvers impressions leave me thinking; big, heavy, slow, ineffecient, but reliable, solid, & good looking.
I hope this helps, thanks all for your follow-ups, I look forward to goin through magazines & sites researching your suggestions.
Take care,
Claff

Bigprairie1

Commander

Welcome to Iboats Claff.....good to see another Albertan heading west, albeit surprisingly. (I thought everyone was heading to Alberta...apart from the Newfies.....just kiddin').
Anywhoooo, there is no shortage of boats out here....I mean seriously. Check out the hundred and hundreds of marinas up and down the coast/island. They all have brokers selling boats. You shouldn't have any problem whatsoever finding something reasonable for under $100k.
Don't forget to look in Washington State/US side as well. Lots of good deals down there and not really any further away than many 'local' destinations and the import business is pretty painless these days. Use the Craigslist Washington State and British Columbia to do some comparisons....useful stuff.
Good luck and happy hunting.
BP:cool:

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

The C-Ranger Tugs are essentially a trawler style boat in a semi-planing hull design to give more speed. When I think of a Trawler (traditional sense) I think of a dispacement only hull that is very speed limited. The C-Ranger Tugs and also the Nordic Tugs are similar style boats that give a little more speed potential. With all of that said give them a look and decide for your self.

Here are some more of my comments.

12 people on any boat is going to feel a bit crowded if you are on a long day cruise. I do think that having a fly/command bridge is probably the only way to go. However, there are some very nice modern boats that are very space efficient that may work well for you.

I especially like the current Four Winns cruisers. The 318 and 338 have very nice seating for a lot of people. Also, both have very large swim platforms with easy walkthrus that are nice while at anchor for more square footage on the boat. Both also have walk thru windshields with easy access to the fore deck to give more space. www.fourwinns.com

I guess this isn't really the direction you're steering, however, it may cause you to re-look at some of your priorities.

It seems you want these things in order of importance.

-Space for a lot of people
-Style/Exterior look and interior accomodations
-Speed to get where your going quickly
-Fuel efficiency (a priority for just about everyone these days)

Some of those may be contradictory to others.

Good luck and have fun looking...you know saying..."the two happiest days in a boat owners life..."