black or blue

dfitz123

Recruit
i have an early 90,s force 120 found some used coils at a boat junkyard are the black and blue boxes interchangeable thanks in advance sorry if this question is dumb i just don,t want to burn up the motor thanks again

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: black or blue

Some people say not to mix them.

That said, I have a 1990 90HP that I bought with one blue and one black box. It has run quite happily for 4 years now with no problems.

Ar any rate, mixing boxes will not damage the engine, only electrical components if it does at all. The two major ways to physically damage the engine are through lean running and lack of oil

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The word is no, sorry.

A few guys have tried it, with mixed results.
Apparently you can add a black to a blue system (1989-1994).
But I have seen total ignition failures, where blue boxes were added to a black box system.

IMO, Ithink you are kind of asking for trouble when you mix different components.

All blue cd modules and coils are the same.

Last edited:

Bigprairie1

Commander

All blue cd modules and coils are the same.

Roscoe, does that apply with blue coils/modules on say 70/90/120/125hp Force engines? or are they also specific to those hp's?
ie: could I use a blue coil or module off...say a 70hp or a 120hp on my 90hp?
Thanks
BP

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

All Force blue boxes are the same.

All Force blue coils are the same. Period

You can run a black box and a blue box on the same engine as long as you have coils that match the boxes.

The occasional problem with the Force ignition is sometimes as a box was dying it would cross-fire, causing that cylinder to double fire, once at the correct time and again 180 out which would cause that cyl to lean and burn.

Critical to test anytime performance falters.

Simply check each plug wire with an inductive tach to verify good/bad.