External Transducer on MotorGuide Wireless Trolling Motor

John_S

Rear Admiral
I recently purchased a MotorGuide Wireless trolling motor. I want to use my Humminbird 400TX and WS trolling motor transducer on it. While MG does not recommend an external transducer, because of wire catching in mechanisms, etc, I think I have come up with a possible solution. Before I make the final decission I would like to hear from others that were successful and mounting an external one. Pics would be a big plus.

In leu of that, I should be able to mock-up my solution this evening and provide pics, so you can at least throw darts at it. :)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: External Transducer on MotorGuide Wireless Trolling Motor

Your MotorGuide can't be very different than several MinnKota Power Drives I've done so here is how I did it. I'll need to do it again when I pick up my new pontoon tomorrow. Hope this helps.

Transducer1.jpg

Transducer2.jpg

Transducer3.jpg

Transducer4.jpg

John_S

Rear Admiral

Silvertip,

Thanks, for the great pics. Our approaches are the same, except for #4-6. On the MG wireless, the cradle lock, presents additional challenges. I will post some pics tonight, and would appreciate your valued input. Thx.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

looks like it will work. don't you love that motor. mines on it's 3rd boat.

John_S

Rear Admiral

"don't you love that motor"

It hasn't been wet yet! :)

Mounted it on Saturday after agonizing over exact position. I still have to run 6ga wire, connectors, and circuit breaker.

PS: Thanks for the PMs answering all my questions on the Wireless.

John_S

Rear Admiral

FWIW, going ahead with trying the spring method. I did move it to the other side of the nose to allow for more rotation for counter-clockwise, before spring starts to streach. We'll see how well it holds up over the season.