Outboard Newby

keelbolts

Cadet
After sailing for 20 years w/ an inboard diesel I've just hung a Yamaha 9.9 on the back of my new plastic boat. Now I need to hook it up. Can any of you point me to a site where I can see how to hook this thing up? Thanks.

Jeff

keelbolts

Cadet
Re: Outboard Newby

I just figured out why no one has contributed to this thread. You thot it was a joke. It's not a tiller controlled motor you drop on the bracket and hook the tank to. This motor is remote control and I need to know where to attach to cables. There are obviously two connection points, but which is which? How big a loop on the cables aft of the transom to allow for movement? Any other tricks are snags I need to know about?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

To determine which cable is which, have someone place the lever on the control box in neutral. Then while you watch the end of the cables, have them move the control box to forward (first detent). The first cable that moves is the shift cable. At the engine, it is obvious which is which. When you attach those cables, place them in their anchors and with the control box in neutral and shift linkage on the engine in neutral, bring the attachment on the cable up to its attachment point on the linkage. If the two don't line up exactly, adjust the cable so they do. Repeat for the throttle cable but hold the throttle linkage against the idle stop which making the adjustment. You really need a copy of the Yamaha rigging guide.

keelbolts

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. I'll call my local Yamaha dealer & see what I can get.