old yamaha 2B ignition problems and other questions

danielB

Recruit
I have just acquired a 2HP yamaha outboard
It seems to have had good care taken of it but it hasn't been run for 2 years, and won't start, there is no spark.
I have started dissassembling, but got stuck at the flywheel. I will try to make a flywheel puller tomorrow
Looking through the windows in the flywheel the points seem clean, and working, but both sides of them are grounded whether they are open or not.
My serial number is 2B 6A1 051344, can anyone tell me the year ?
If I get it running what other things should I look at ? (cooling system, gear oil ?)
what mixture should I use for fuel ?
thanks

Yamajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: old yamaha 2B ignition problems and other questions

A manual is invaluable. Do a compression chech, when you have got the spark, overhaul the carb, put a new water pump in, change the lower unit oil and give the linkages and moving parts some greese.

http://www.maxrules.com/fixtuneitup.html

TheFin

Seaman

1983 ?
Is it from Europe ?

danielB

Recruit

yes it was as far as I know purchased new in france. I'm not sure of the date though.
In spite of my home made flywheel puller, it was impossible to get the flywheel off
But after cleaning and setting the points through the flywheel windows I got a nice healthy spark and the motor runs well.

bill k

Recruit

According to what I have it is a 1979 engine

Bill k

OOR

Recruit

Hi there,
i've overhauled a yamaha 2B (1989) i've had in the back of the garage for the past 10 years - i can't get a spark - i'm thinking its the points.
I've never set points before - i see down the thread it's possible to do this through the windows in the flywheel.
I'd really appreciate any help you can give me on the procedure of setting the points.
:)