Alpha drive assembly lubricants

cbear34

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a question about the lubricants needed to service the alpha one sterndrive. I have removed my 1989 alpha one sterndrive, merc 305, to service the transom rubbers. Previously I asked about the water hose I have which is dry rotted.:eek:
I am replacing all the bellows, trim sender and limit switch and water hose. For assembly 3 lubricants are needed. What is Locquic primer "T"? Used on the threads for the bell housing hinge pins. Mercruiser manual lists Loctite 27131, is this loctite red or blue? What can be used for engine coupler grease? Why is the shift arm included in the transom seal kit?:confused: Mine looks like it is in good condition.
Thanks for all of everyone's help and advice on this board. Never removed the drive and was kind of intimidated but with everyone's input here it was easy. Putting it together might be another story. I do have help with a friend of mine who used to work on offshore race boats. He said he would help me put it together.:) He also told me back in the day since the drives were so expensive and easy to remove people would steal them right off the boat in the yard.:eek:

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Alpha drive assembly lubricants

I have a question about the lubricants needed to service the alpha one sterndrive. I have removed my 1989 alpha one sterndrive, merc 305, to service the transom rubbers. Previously I asked about the water hose I have which is dry rotted.:eek:
I am replacing all the bellows, trim sender and limit switch and water hose. For assembly 3 lubricants are needed. What is Locquic primer "T"? Used on the threads for the bell housing hinge pins. Mercruiser manual lists Loctite 27131, is this loctite red or blue?
RED.....

What can be used for engine coupler grease?
Merc spline grease, do not put grease on the end of the driveshaft....
Why is the shift arm included in the transom seal kit?:confused: Mine looks like it is in good condition.
In case the old one is shot....
Don't replace it if it is good....
Thanks for all of everyone's help and advice on this board. Never removed the drive and was kind of intimidated but with everyone's input here it was easy. Putting it together might be another story. I do have help with a friend of mine who used to work on offshore race boats. He said he would help me put it together.:) He also told me back in the day since the drives were so expensive and easy to remove people would steal them right off the boat in the yard.:eek:
Eight bolts & it's off.....
I'll bet Bondo can pull one off in 5 minutes......:D
In case you don't have it....;)
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf

Bondo

Staff member

I'll bet Bondo can pull one off in 5 minutes......:D
Ayuh,..... Or Less......;)
Why is the shift arm included in the transom seal kit? Mine looks like it is in good condition.
If you're doing the Bellows,..... You Otta be doing the Lower Shift Cable as well....
You got the shift arm because it needs to be removed to replace the Bellows,+ They usually Break when taken apart.....

cbear34

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. I have the manual and it makes it much easier.
How about this Locquic primer "T"? :confused: Never heard of it. Is it necessary? Sounds like it is a primer for the loctite.
Thanks again for the replies.:)

Bondo

Staff member

How about this Locquic primer "T"? Never heard of it. Is it necessary? Sounds like it is a primer for the loctite.

Ayuh,..... You're Right,+ No,.. I don't bother with it....

cbear34

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Haut!:)
I kind of figured that. Never used a loctite primer before and never had a problem. I still have plenty of cure time, still have ice on the lakes.;)