90 Chevy Van Trans crossmember...

TilliamWe

Banned
Ok, so I am going to put a transmission filter in my new-to-me 1990 Chevy G20 van with a 700R4 auto. I will have to remove the rear transmission crossmember to access the bolts and to get the pan down. I understand how it's bolted to the body, but I question what the spacer looking thing is on top of the member. Is it bolted to the trans case, or is the trans just resting on it? Do I need to remove it first, or does it just come down and away when I lower the crossmember? I don't want to mess up the trans alignment or anything, and I know to support the tail of the trans. But that spacer just has me wondering.
If pictures would help, I can post them tomorrow. I didn't have this issue on my last van, so this is a little new to me. Thanks for the help!

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: 90 Chevy Van Trans crossmember...

May not apply on a van but it does on all of the trucks....... We never removed the crossmember. Unbolt the mount and raise the tail up about 1 1/2" and you have access to the bolts.

TilliamWe

Banned

So that thing is attached to the transmission, then? I'll look at it again. If I could just raise the trans, I'd rather do that than have to remove four big "rusty" bolts and have to remove that whole crossmember. There is enough length to the driveshaft that it won't fall out if I raise the trans up?

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Without a doubt theres plenty of driveshaft length. We used a bottle jack under the tail and there was no problem. All of this being said be careful and pay attention. The tail is aluminum afterall. You just want to raise it enough to get the bolts outs and allow the pan to slide forward and down.

dolluper

Captain

Ifin the {spacer} is the trannie mount you should see a bolt and nut on the underside of the cross member.....loosen the nut and raise the trannie by the pan ....now look up at the mount ,two bolts attach it to the trannie,remove them and the mount ,then lower the trannie on to a couple of 2 by 4 pieces at the cross member.....it maybe much easier to drop the driveshaft so it doesn't give you trouble and mark the relationship to the rear end

TilliamWe

Banned

There is definately a bolt sticking down through the crossmember.

So it sounds like I have a couple of ways to do it, I'll see which one will work best.

Thanks a ton guys!