Aluminum tank mounting and water

erikgreen

Captain
I'm working on getting my boat set to mount my fuel tank back inside, and I have a question about drainage around it. It's the Sea Ray SRV-210 again.

The boat was originally set up with a "dry" tank compartment, with a forward bilge pump in a sump at the step-down and a rear one in the engine bilge. After tearing out all the wet wood and foam where the tank was, I'm going to arrange for the forward sump to drain back to the engine bilge this time, draining the fuel tank compartment in the process.

I could put in a PVC pipe to route the water under the tank, but then it wouldn't drain as well, nor drain the tank compartment as well.

What kind of mounting should I build under the tank? It's a welded aluminum 53 gallon rectangular. I was thinking I might just put about 4x mahogany cross members (padded with neoprene) across the tank space, which would leave about 4 inches at the keel under the tank for drainage. Also most of the bottom of the tank would have only a few inches of air between it and any bilge water.

I've heard that an aluminum tank exposed to water isn't a problem as long as the water drains away. But, If it sits in moisture it will corrode.

Anyone have any experience mounting an aluminum tank above a wet bilge like this?

Erik

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Aluminum tank mounting and water

I installed a pair of tanks according to the instructions given in the link that Gcboat provided in the post above. I wasn't able to locate any "Haycite" so I just built a couple of fiberglass strips about 2" long and 1/4" - 3/8" thick. I mounted the strips to the bottom of the tank with the 5200 as the article suggested. I then mounted each tank to the boat as the article suggested. It's been about two years and I haven't had any problems with drainage or the tanks shifting. What I don't like about this method, however, it that I don't think these tanks could be removed very easily. 5200 is some pretty tenatious stuff.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.....

I think the only thing I'd do Different Erik,...
Is to bed the tank on a Hard Plastic,+ 5200,.... Even Hard Plastic is softer than the Aluminum....
Rather than the Neopreme,... Too Spongy, more apt to hold moisture....

Coors

Captain

Yeah, the neoprene will squish down to nothing.
Can you help support it using the stringers? (already bedded in)

erikgreen

Captain

Yeah, I can drill through holes in the stringers to bolt shelves on for the tank, they're plenty strong.

It sounds like what I want to do is make some "shelf brackets" using the stringers and bolts, then place a glassed in piece of ply fully coated on the shelves, and put the tank on that attached with 5200, but with the plastic strips attached to the tank bottom to permit drainage.

Any suggestions what to use for the plastic strips? I could buy some recycled plastic board 3/8 thick, and I think 5200 would stick to it?

Erik

PS: Maybe a modification to this... attach the shelf the tank is on using removable bolts to permit tank removal later?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

they are making all kinds of pvc lumber 1x3 strips.

Bondo

Staff member

Any suggestions what to use for the plastic strips? I could buy some recycled plastic board 3/8 thick, and I think 5200 would stick to it?

Ayuh,.....

I think that quite literally, Any plastic will work just Fine....
It'll Never see the light of Day, so rot isn't an issue,....
3/8" is Overkill,... You're just looking to keep the tank from Contact with anything, 1/8" is enough.....
And,... 5200 sticks to about Everything,+ gravity is on your side too.....

Just a few obscure thoughts on Where to find it,.....
A few slants from a junk venetian blind,....
Rows of junk credit cards cut into strips,...
Old signs cut into strips,...
Stirps of door, or shower mats,...
Strips of tote lids, or tupperware lids,...
Pieces of plastic fencing,...Plastic Lattice,..
It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes of Dumpster Diving to find Something to make Work,....;)
I'd probably not use the typical Plastic Lumber,.. Just because they add Wood to the mixture....

As per your 1st post,....
Adding PVC tubing is a waste of time,+ energy,...
Just as long as there are limber holes,+ a drainable channel running from everywhere in the boat, to the bilge,......
You've taken the Biggest Step to keeping your boat's hull from Rotting......
Good Ventilation is the 2nd step........