1989 Bayliner Capri

cptkacey

Recruit
hello, all! looking for anyone to assist me with some knowledge. i am look into buying a 1989 Bayliner Capri 19'6". The boat has a 2 stroke inboard/ outboard.
yet, i have had no luck with researching this combination for this year and make of Bayliner boat. Any ideas. just wanting to know what i'm getting into and if it is correct. i have yet to get the HIN from the seller and it has me wondering. please help and thank you for your time.

cptkacey

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1989 Bayliner Capri

Welcome to iboats.
Plenty of Bayliner owners on the site.
Bayliner boat forum.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

If you have the model with the Force Outboard and the dreaded 'L' drive don't even bother with it. I would run faster than a bullet away from that. First off the parts for that drive are almost - if not - impossible to find. The motor itself can be a do-able project but with no drive what's the sense?
No my friend - look really close at it and as mentioned run away.
I would't take that setup if offered for free.
Besides, if you are able to find the parts they will cost a tidy sum and there just aren't any mechanics that know how to work on them. Bad design.
My $.02

cptkacey

Recruit

the set up is an inboard engine with outboard drive. the inboard is a 2stroke. does that make any sense to you? Ido appreciate the $.02. I'll take whatever information i can get. the purchase may be made this weekend...:redface:

Bigprairie1

Commander

I'm pretty sure this sounds like an L-drive. I can't recall any i/o Bayliners with a 2stroke motor other than L-Drives.
You should check this out very carefully and ask the guy if this is an L-drive and look for yourself. If it looks like an 'outboard' power head and a rather odd leg arrangement half sticking/hidden out the back....then L-Drive.
If it is, as GC put it, run. Do not buy it. it will be a poor choice over the long haul regardless how attractive it looks right now.
Wait it out and get either an outboard or an inboard/outboard...no L-drives. Also avoid the OMC i/o's...they too are no longer made and you may run into difficulties getting parts down the road.
Sellers often heavily discount the L-drive boats because they know that an unsuspecting buyer will be looking at the overall package rather than the hidden mechanical project that the boat will probably become.
Keep us posted on what you find when you go back to look at it.
Good Luck and be patient in your choice...there are thousands of reasonable boats on the market to choose from.
BP

cptkacey

Recruit

Thank you for all the input. i will be sure to ask more questions and look more carefully to determine what it is. i will be back on to post the results of the upcoming re-visit.
thanks again!

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

After reading your added info it is indeed an L drive. I'd just call the guy up right now and tell him no thanks. Save yourself some grief.
As Bigprairie mentioned are a LOT of other vessels out there with a lot less hassle involved. Now with the price of fuel reaching astronomical amounts you will find more and more boats coming on the market every day. If nothing else do a search on Craigslist in your area. Lots of em' around here.
P.S. Where are you located?

tonyg11780

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, I know a decent amount about the L-drives. What you have isnt an inboard with and outboard drive, its literally an outboard with a 90 degree angle in it. And parts will be an issue...not impossible, but you will have to dig for them..

Tony