Petty Officer 1st Class
Boat_for_Web.jpg

Boat_2_for_Web.jpg

Any ideas?

aborgman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat Identity?

So here is the story -

I was looking for a trailer for my 12' jon boat. A guy on another message board said he had a trailer, with 70's fiberglass boat and 70's 40hp Evinrude - for about the price I was planning on spending on a trailer.

He says the motor ran great when he last used it - it was winterized and then has sat untouched for 6 years...

I'm basically decided as to buying it, because even if I trash everything else and keep the trailer I'll have gotten my money out of it.

Now, to prepare myself, I'm just trying to figure out what it is I'm going to be dealing with.

It's an 60 mile drive away, so I'm not going to drive up to check it out. The seller isn't getting anything out of it really (other than getting it off his hands) so he doesn't seem especially interested in getting me any info outside the barest of minimums (and I can understand why!) - so I'm looking for info.

So any ideas on boat and/or motor identity is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

aborgman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would think these "handles" might help ID it - they seem pretty unusual.

Attachments

• Boat_for_Web - arrow.JPG
    Boat_for_Web - arrow.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat_2_for_Web - arrow.JPG
    Boat_2_for_Web - arrow.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 0

ziggy

Admiral

what handles? ya mean the black rounded bar in the middle..... i think that's the windshield..... that needs to be remounted..... in lew of the ft. fishing chair.

aborgman

Petty Officer 1st Class

what handles? ya mean the black rounded bar in the middle..... i think that's the windshield..... that needs to be remounted..... in lew of the ft. fishing chair.

The black I'm pretty sure is the windshield - the "handles" I marked on the photos with red arrows. Here is a photo with arrows in white pointing out the "handles"

Attachments

• Boat_for_Web - arrow.JPG
    Boat_for_Web - arrow.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 0

ziggy

Admiral

those are probably cleats to tie yer boat up to the dock with... they are made by whoever for waterever boat they go on..... probably not oem boat parts.....

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

Now, to prepare myself, I'm just trying to figure out what it is I'm going to be dealing with.

It's an 60 mile drive away, so I'm not going to drive up to check it out.Thanks

My first thought was, you're going to be taking a big risk towing that rig home 60 miles after it has sat unused for 6 years. The wheels look to be sunk into the ground pretty far. You better prepare for the possibility that the tires are dry rotted and the bearings could seize up on the way home. Nothing worse than being stuck halfway home with no spare or a seized bearing. I take that back. If one or both of those old tires blow at highway speeds, it could be worse.

ziggy

Admiral

I take that back. If one or both of those old tires blow at highway speeds, it could be worse.
good point mr.big..... i got my boat rapid city, sd. 540 miles from home. it's first stop was the tire store for new rubber and brgs..... that was a mile from where i bought it in rapid city. no way was i gettin on the interstate hwy with unknown brgs and tires.... pretty sparse population out that way..... like named towns with one house in them :eek:.... no tire stores around them towns....

aborgman

Petty Officer 1st Class

My first thought was, you're going to be taking a big risk towing that rig home 60 miles after it has sat unused for 6 years. The wheels look to be sunk into the ground pretty far. You better prepare for the possibility that the tires are dry rotted and the bearings could seize up on the way home. Nothing worse than being stuck halfway home with no spare or a seized bearing. I take that back. If one or both of those old tires blow at highway speeds, it could be worse.

He is supposed to be pulling out of the yard and putting the spare on in place of the currently flat tire. I told him to send me pics and the tire size - I think I'll bring a spare or two of my own, a jack, probably some grease and other tools... and I can always take back roads if the tires/bearings seem to scary - it would take a while, but I'd rather have catastrophic failure at 35mph than 75mph.

cbear34

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Since your bringing some tools and a jack, you probably want to pack the bearings before you head out. If the bearings fail it could wreck the axles. :eek: If you bring 2 tires, I would just put yours on and keep the others as "spares". What about the lights on the trailer?

aborgman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since your bringing some tools and a jack, you probably want to pack the bearings before you head out. If the bearings fail it could wreck the axles. :eek: If you bring 2 tires, I would just put yours on and keep the others as "spares". What about the lights on the trailer?

I'm definitely going to give the wheels/bearings a once over and see how bad they are - if bad enough I probably will regrease them before I leave. I'm not too worried about the lights - I figure if I bring some wire, bulbs, electrical tape, a multimeter, and wire cutters I won't have a problem - I am an electrical engineer after all.