what's your opinions on this $75 outboard?

Mr.Stuart

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm looking at this outboard I found on craigslist, the guy wants $75 for it, from what I can gather it looks to be about a 1951 7.5 HP the serial number on it is 4443-28510, it belonged to the guys grand dad and sat in grand dads garage for years and no one ever remembers him using it for anything, I'm concerned about the corrosion on it though, some of the cover parts are going to have to be replaced which is going to drive the cost up to make it a running motor, here's some pictures, give me your thoughts, I have to decided on this pretty soon, don't think he's going to hold it for very long.

Stuart

Attachments

• outboard.JPG
    outboard.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 0
  • outboard%20(1).JPG
    outboard%20(1).JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 0
  • outboard%20(2).JPG
    outboard%20(2).JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 0
  • outboard%20(3).JPG
    outboard%20(3).JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 0
  • outboard%20(4).JPG
    outboard%20(4).JPG
    27 KB · Views: 0

Mr.Stuart

Re: what's your opinions on this $75 outboard?

more pictures

Attachments

• outboard%20(5).JPG
    outboard%20(5).JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 0
  • outboard%20(6).JPG
    outboard%20(6).JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 0
  • outboard%20(7).JPG
    outboard%20(7).JPG
    29 KB · Views: 0

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Yikes! If it weren't for the corrosion, it looks like it would be in fairly decent shape! On the plus side, the two common issues with those early Fleetwins are not found on yours. It has both an intact carry handle and the tiller grip is present. That grip serves as a screwdriver (to remove the cowlings) and is often lost.

Does it turn over? Compression? I can't recall offhand if that motor would have the Johnson TD-20 center magnet style magneto or the later OMC common magneto. It was right in that 1950/1951 range that they started changing them over. I also can't recall if that one has the metal impeller or the rubber one. If it is the rubber impeller, I have a mod that you can do to use a later 3/6 horse impeller...

- Scott

Mr.Stuart

Yikes! If it weren't for the corrosion, it looks like it would be in fairly decent shape! On the plus side, the two common issues with those early Fleetwins are not found on yours. It has both an intact carry handle and the tiller grip is present. That grip serves as a screwdriver (to remove the cowlings) and is often lost.

Does it turn over? Compression? I can't recall offhand if that motor would have the Johnson TD-20 center magnet style magneto or the later OMC common magneto. It was right in that 1950/1951 range that they started changing them over. I also can't recall if that one has the metal impeller or the rubber one. If it is the rubber impeller, I have a mod that you can do to use a later 3/6 horse impeller...

- Scott

it turns over and has good compression, I have not physically looked at it yet, we're emailing back and forth and talking on the phone, he lives about 100 miles from me, the motor looks clean other then the corrosion, the top might be able to be salvaged, but that tank has a big hole in the side of it, if I was lucky, I might be able to find a tank off ebay?

what do you think? is it worth 75? maybe make him an offer on it? or keep looking for another motor?

kayakn

Seaman Apprentice

that sounds like a good deal. i just bought a 90's Tohatsu 2.5 for $100 and starts with one pull.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Good motors in there time, but it probably needs coils ($50) pump if rubber ($25) tank $30 and ship.
I'd offer $40...

wbeaton

Commander

Personally, I wouldn't offer more than $25. If I really wanted it I'd go as high as $50. Keep in mind you have to buy a new cowling, tune-up parts and a tank. Even if it was in nice condition and running it wouldn't be worth more than $200.

Mr.Stuart

Good motors in there time, but it probably needs coils ($50) pump if rubber ($25) tank $30 and ship.
I'd offer $40...
I don't know if he'll go down to 40 or not, I can always ask, if I ended up buying the replacement tank, impeller, coils, and who knows about the carb, I'd guess at this point, at least a rebuild if I was lucky, I almost wonder if I'd be in it more then its worth, I wouldn't be buying it to sell it, I'd buy it to use it, it's still not exactly what I want, (would rather have something close to a 15 to 18 horse) but it is vintage, and properly cleaned up and running good, it would look good on the back of my old boat, just not sure if it would be worth the trouble.

Mr.Stuart

Personally, I wouldn't offer more than $25. If I really wanted it I'd go as high as $50. Keep in mind you have to buy a new cowling, tune-up parts and a tank. Even if it was in nice condition and running it wouldn't be worth more than $200.

ok, the feeling I'm getting on this one is that I should keep looking, that's why I posted here before I made a decision, thanks, Stuart

wbeaton

Commander

Since you really want a 15-18 hp, I'd pass on this one and wait for something better to come along. Lots of 1950's Evinrude 15 hp and Johnson/Evinrude 18 hp motors around. I have a few 1953-4 Evinrude 15 hp's. They are amoung my favourite motors. Too bad you are so far away. I could be coaxed into parting with one for a very reasonable price.

Mr.Stuart

Since you really want a 15-18 hp, I'd pass on this one and wait for something better to come along. Lots of 1950's Evinrude 15 hp and Johnson/Evinrude 18 hp motors around. I have a few 1953-4 Evinrude 15 hp's. They are amoung my favourite motors. Too bad you are so far away. I could be coaxed into parting with one for a very reasonable price.

Oh man, you got what I want ...I'm moving to canada

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

imho pass, if you were into really restoring, and needed it for parts is one thing.

twsmith54

Seaman Apprentice

Mr. Stuart, i just recently bought the '53 model of the same engine. A carb kit for the engine is very hard to find. I have been looking for a while now with no success. If it was a '54 7.5hp there are many parts available. But this model not so much.

Mr.Stuart

Mr. Stuart, i just recently bought the '53 model of the same engine. A carb kit for the engine is very hard to find. I have been looking for a while now with no success. If it was a '54 7.5hp there are many parts available. But this model not so much.

I rest my case, I'm going to keep looking :eek:

catalyst-519

Seaman

Wayne:

I'm in Ontario and frequently travel to London. Only a stones throw from Hamilton. Let's talk about those 50's Evinrudes. PM Me.

Cheers---519

Mr.Stuart

Wayne:

I'm in Ontario and frequently travel to London. Only a stones throw from Hamilton. Let's talk about those 50's Evinrudes. PM Me.

Cheers---519

Hey! ...get me one while your at it, I want one to, were not to far apart, you can bring it down here and deliver it, we are on the same side of the planet you know:D